Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Web App Control using Visual Cobol Part 2

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 11 August 2011]

Hi All,

I am obliviously developing a Web App in COBOL but I cant find any information on how to layout the page/controls better when using an "ASPX" form.

Does any one have any info on this?

Does MF have any info on this or sample sites that will show be how to "put a button" here or a "text box" there and it doesnt muck up the rest of the page.

I did think about using "Frames" but couldnt find it any where in the IDE.

Many thanks

Neil.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Web App Control using Visual Cobol Part 2

Jump to solution
How are you creating your aspx pages? are you using visual studio 2005/2008/2010?

If you are using some MF design tool or the interface mapping toolkit, I would think this is maybe less than what you can do in VS IDE. I don't believe VS uses basic tables for layout. I have not actually working on aspx for over a year and have been heads down WPF/SL and WinForms lately.

I'd suggest you create the UI in VS and then make work with your cobol code behind. (again i'm not a cobol.net coder).
Might have to become one for a while but looking at using web services to be able to interact with the native cobol and .net worlds.

If you can tell me more about your environment and your goals for this application I might be able to help i do know a lot of the M$ technology and i am a coder in that world. 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Neil, do you have this folder on your development machine:

C:\Program Files\Micro Focus\Studio Enterprise Edition 6.0\Examples

If you have SEE 6.0 installed you should have this folder and it has some window forms examples.

If you can't find this folder and sub-folders then search for .sln files on your machine and see if you have any .net solutions. If you have some form of cobol.net installed I would think the samples installed should show asp.net and win-form examples.

Hope this helps! Jerry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Neil, first off from my little bit of looking around at examples i'd say aspx pages are straight up asp.net tags and code the code is code behind in cobol so that might be a learning curve. It seems a bit weird for me being primarly a vb.net and c# programmer but looks like they have incorporated the .net class and methods to adapt the OOP way of doing things.

Normally with you are talking about aspx controls they work like html controls they basically flow top to bottom and you can get fancy and position them in the specific location but the more experence you get with aspx the easier it is going to be. If you can show me more of what you are doing I might be able to help you.

Hope this helps. Jerry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that.

Yep I found samples and having a look at them.

Just seems to be 1 browser based solution and it would appear that uses "tables" to lay the page out, which just seems a bit basic after having used Winforms, where I can just position the controls in the IDE.

Kind regards

Neil.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
How are you creating your aspx pages? are you using visual studio 2005/2008/2010?

If you are using some MF design tool or the interface mapping toolkit, I would think this is maybe less than what you can do in VS IDE. I don't believe VS uses basic tables for layout. I have not actually working on aspx for over a year and have been heads down WPF/SL and WinForms lately.

I'd suggest you create the UI in VS and then make work with your cobol code behind. (again i'm not a cobol.net coder).
Might have to become one for a while but looking at using web services to be able to interact with the native cobol and .net worlds.

If you can tell me more about your environment and your goals for this application I might be able to help i do know a lot of the M$ technology and i am a coder in that world. 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.