Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Webinar One: Understanding Visual COBOL

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 27 January 2012]

Thank you to everyone who attended the webinar on Thursday – a fantastic turnout.

We had a lot of great questions which I hope I've managed to answer below:

1. Can you use Visual Studio for COBOL development on Unix?
2. Can I use Pro*COBOL compiler?
3. I’m a VB developer - Does the installation of Visual COBOL change the environment?
4. Are there lift-and-shift tools to take CICS/JCL to the Cloud?
5. How much does the product cost?
6. Where does source code live?
7. Do I need Developer Hub to debug an AIX application?
8. Can we mix Net Express 3.0 dlls in the same process as a Visual COBOL application?
9. Does Visual COBOL support CICS?
10. Can we migrate Dialog System apps to Visual COBOL?
11. Are the data tools supported in Visual COBOL?
12. Can we get the email addresses of other attendees on the webinar?

Answers:
1. Can you use Visual Studio for COBOL development on Unix?
No. We recommend you use Visual COBOL for Eclipse

2. Can I use Pro*COBOL compiler?
Yes. If moving to JVM or .NET, you’ll need to use OpenESQL instead of the pre-compiler.

3. I’m a VB developer - Does the installation of Visual COBOL change the environment?
Installation should leave your existing Visual Studio install safe and sound with only the addition of Visual COBOL.

4. Are there lift-and-shift tools to take CICS/JCL to the Cloud?
Micro Focus does provide such a solution but it is not part of Visual COBOL today. Please see our website for information about mainframe migration.

5. How much does the product cost?
Please contact your account manager for pricing and licensing questions.

6. Where does the source code live?
When using Visual COBOL for Eclipse Distributed Edition, the source code resides on the server machine. You create a remote project to connect to the server and debug remotely with Eclipse running either on Windows or Linux.

7. Do I need Developer Hub to debug an AIX application?
Yes - the product Visual COBOL for Eclipse distributed Edition includes this.

8. Can we mix Net Express 3.0 dlls in the same process as a Visual COBOL application?
No. You’ll need to recompile your existing application under Visual COBOL.

9. Does Visual COBOL support CICS?
Not today but stay tuned for news on this in the coming months.

10. Can we migrate Dialog System apps to Visual COBOL?
Yes. The Dialog System add pack is available on SupportLine under Visual COBOL AddPacks.

11. Are the data tools supported in Visual COBOL?
Yes. The Data Tools add pack is available on SupportLine under Visual COBOL AddPacks.

12. Can we get the email addresses of other attendees on the webinar?
Sorry but we can divulge the email addresses of webinar attendees but everyone is welcome to discuss their questions here on the community site.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Webinar One: Understanding Visual COBOL

Jump to solution
If you have any feedback about the webinar - please take the time to let us know in our short survey.

We will use the results to improve the webinar experience during our future webinar series.

Thanks
Melissa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Webinar One: Understanding Visual COBOL

Jump to solution
If you have any feedback about the webinar - please take the time to let us know in our short survey.

We will use the results to improve the webinar experience during our future webinar series.

Thanks
Melissa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.