Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 7 Message

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 01 February 2012]

Hi All,

Just started to get a windows error message popping up when running my Visual Cobol Windows project.

This has only started happening since it started running on a Windows 7 pc and the message says:-

"Program has stopped working" "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" however it just hangs.

The exact same application works fine on a Windows XP machine.

So what does it mean and how can I tell it to just "get on with it!" so the program works normally.

Any help greatly appreciated as my customer is getting very annoyed!

Many thanks

Neil.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Windows 7 Message

Neil, any clues as to where this is happening in the code?

Does it happen when running under the debugger?

NET or native code?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Neil,

Just as some background - the way Windows works (primarily for GUI applications) is that the operating system sends the application messages on a regular basis, and expects a quick response. With early versions of Windows, it was easy for a badly behaved application to become unresponsive and give a poor experience for the whole desktop.
With Windows 7, it has a built-in monitor for each application ensuring that it responds promptly to each message. What you're seeing is symptomatic of a GUI application not responding quickly to its messages.
As Scot has indicated, it would be helpful for you to give us an idea of exactly what it is that you're doing when you get this dialog. We'll then be able to work with you to ensure that the application is responsive enough.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Scott,

No and no its just random and only just started happening in Windows7 pc's.

Thanks

Neil.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Neil,

If I am not mistaken this is a managed code Windows Forms application, is that correct?
Is it 32-bit or 64-bit or anyCpu?

Does it access a database using OpenESQL?
Does it call native code .dlls as well?
The more detail that you can provide us with the better chance we will have of tracking down the issue?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me, answers below:-

If I am not mistaken this is a managed code Windows Forms application, is that correct?
YES

Is it 32-bit or 64-bit or anyCpu?
32-BIT

Does it access a database using OpenESQL?
IF THATS THE TOOL IN VISUAL COBOL THEN YES.
TO CONNECT TO THE SQL DATABASE AT RUNTIME I USE THE 32 BIT SQL SERVER DRIVER IN THE MICROSOFT ODBC DATA SOURCE MANAGER.

Does it call native code .dlls as well?
NO.

As I say this only happens on Windows7 machines so what have Microsoft done now!

Kind regards

Neil.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.