Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Your information message is my error message. SE vs Dev Hub

Jump to solution

We're migrating from NE/SE to VC/Dev Hub, our target platform is HPUX.

If I take our build script on HPUX, honed to perfection over the years 🙂 that use the stderr directive and redirect output from the compiler to an .out file and an .err file. If we use Dev Hub instead of Server Express, one mildly irritating thing happens with code using cobsql/procob.

Messages from procob, i.e.

* Micro Focus Cobsql Integrated Preprocessor
* CSQL-I-004: Accepted csqlt=ora8
* CSQL-I-005: Passing config=$CFGDIR/procob_dinka.cfg to ORACLE8 Precompiler
* CSQL-I-008: Invoking cp Preprocessor
* CSQL-I-018: Invoking Oracle Precompiler/Translator
* CSQL-I-020: Processing output of ORACLE8 Precompiler
* CSQL-I-001: Cobsql has finished returning to the Checker

that for decades 😉 have ended up on stdout, i.e. our .out file now get written to .err

The build script checks the return code from the compiler. For anything other than zero an error is assumed, and the .out and .err files are retained. If the compiler returns zero we check the size of the .err file and warn that the .err file has been written to and it is retained. Most common reason for this, compiler warnings that do not trigger a compile error.

With Dev Hub as the compiler all programs using cobsql/procob now complain that they did write to the .err file. Usually just the lines matching the example above. Info messages from cobsql.

I have added a function to the build that filters the .err file for the Cobsql banner and CSQL-I messages and if lines remain the warning about writing to .err is triggered. So this is not a HUGE problem, but the Server Express way of doing it seem more sane. Sure when there are procob errors they are written to stdout, but since the compiler stops with a return code that isn't a problem. With Dev Hub messages are written to stderr that aren't really errors and the compiler exits with 0 and doesn't think so either.

So to finally end with a question. Is there a conscious reason for this changed behavior in Dev Hub?

/Robert

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Your information message is my error message. SE vs Dev Hub

Jump to solution

Hi Robert,

You are absolutely correct. This is actually a bug, which was introduced in ED/VC 5.0 PU2. Just for your information, this problem does not exist in our latest product, ED/VC 6.0.

We will fix this issue in ED/VC 5.0 PU11.

Laurence

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Your information message is my error message. SE vs Dev Hub

Jump to solution

Hi Robert,

You are absolutely correct. This is actually a bug, which was introduced in ED/VC 5.0 PU2. Just for your information, this problem does not exist in our latest product, ED/VC 6.0.

We will fix this issue in ED/VC 5.0 PU11.

Laurence

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.