Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

arithmetic statement and type decimal

Jump to solution
Using an arithmetic statement with a variable of type decimal generates an error message ‘error COBCH0034 : Operand DECVALUE3 should be numeric’. Using the MOVE statement does not generate an error. I can do arithmetic operations using the SET statement but it would be easier using arithmetic statements when converting existing Cobol programs.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: arithmetic statement and type decimal

Jump to solution

We have added the capability of using data Items defined as managed type decimal to be used in COBOL arithmetic statements. This will be available in our next major product release.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Werner,

I have talked this over with development and we agree with your synopsis. Although a decimal type is not actually a numeric but is an object reference instead, it should not be too difficult to allow decimals to be used in standard COBOL arithmetic statements.

Can you open up a support incident with Customer Care and mention my name in the description so that it is routed to me? I will then open up an RPI and we will look at addressing this functionality in a future release.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

We have added the capability of using data Items defined as managed type decimal to be used in COBOL arithmetic statements. This will be available in our next major product release.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.