cannot create a project file
It appears I have successfully installed Visual Studio 17 and Visual Cobol for Visual Studio 17. When I go through the process to create a project: File,new,project,intalled,cobol,native(same with any option), console application (or any option), complete the file name and hit 'OK' key, a Microsoft visual studio window appears stating it creating the project (name I entered). It never completes and will not cancel. I have to end visual studio from the task manager, endtask option ( three times ).
I do not have this problem with any other language, only visual cobol. Same thing happens if I load a cobol program and attempt to create a project. I can successfully compile the program and run from the debug choices, but that is where my capabilities appear to end.
Of course the question is: How do I resolve the problem?
You may follow the steps below as there appears to be an issue with the licensing:
- Make sure to close License Administration and Visual Studio
- Make a backup of C:\ProgramData\Micro Focus\lservrc.stn
- Edit C:\ProgramData\Micro Focus\lservrc.stn
- Clear the content and save
- Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
- Restart the "Sentinel RMS License Manager" service
- Start Visual Studio
- Select File > New > Project
- Choose COBOL > Native > Console Application, and a dialog about "Unable to find a license for Visual COBOL for Visual Studio on this machine" will appear
- Choose "I want to activate the free product"
- Enter email address
- Click Activate License
- After license is installed, close Visual Studio and open License Administration to check the license is present
This is the reply from the user:
'I just tried your solution. Same result. It will work the first time, but when I exit and restart visual studio, it starts to open the project, but hangs up and will never open the project – ie: same result as before
I looked and the Lservrc.net has new entries, but the Lservrc.stn is empty. For what ever reason, this solution does not solve the problem.'