Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

creating database in visual cobol personal edition

Hi,

Can you please tell me if it is possible to create my own database using SQL Server Express database. I use the free version of visual cobol personal edition. If its possible please tell me step for step how to do this.

Thanks / Hans

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can create your own SQL Server database using the SQL Server Express product that is installed with the Visual Studio 2010 product.

You can write a COBOL program using embedded SQL statements by using the OpenESQL precompiler which is part of the Visual COBOL product in conjunction with either an ODBC driver for native code projects or an ADO provider for managed code projects.

Please see the documentation under Programming-->Data Access-->Database Access-->OpenESQL

I would highly recommend that you download the SQL Server Management Studio from Microsoft in order to make maintainance of your databases much simpler as it provides a easy-to-use graphical environment in which you can execute all of your maintenance tasks.

Without the SQL Server Management Studio you must execute all tasks through a command line interface or through tools like the OpenESQL Assistant.

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.