Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

editing dos 737 character set on visual studio 2012

Hi,

I am a new user in visual cobol 2012 and I am trying to edit some of my old micro focus 3.2.43 programs and data files that are about 20 years old and use 737 greek character set (ascii), but everything writen in greek is not displayed correctly.  What I would like to know is if it is possible to keep working with the existing character set without converting as to keep both old and new programs working together with the same data files.

Thank you in advance

Antonis

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: editing dos 737 character set on visual studio 2012

If you right-click on the source file in Solution Explorer you can select Open with... and then select Source Code Text Editor with Encoding (which can be set as default) and then select the Greek encoding.

It may also be necessary to set the SOURCE-ENCODING"OEM" compiler directive if you run into problems when compiling these source files.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you very match for your quick answer. This works like a charm. Do you know how can keep Greek 737 as the default encoding when I open a project with double click?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can set it to use Source Code Text Editor with Encoding as default but I am not sure if you can actually set a particular encoding to use, at least I cannot find a way to do this.

Perhaps you should look at converting your sources to Unicode by doing a Save As Advanced and selecting the new encoding so that you can use the Visual Studio default going forward?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.