PeterI_vfb Contributor.
Contributor.

external stored procedure in cobol for db2 luw

Is it possible to create external stored procedures in DB2 LUW-environment using Visual COBOL?

We are running SQL Procedures in our current setup but there is a demand for creating External Stored Procdures using Cobol. Mostly because Cobol is common knowledge where I work.

I have done this before but that was in a zOS environment using a WorkLoadManager.

Now I need it for Linux and DB2 LUW.

From what I have read there are certain database auth you need and I have granted this.

As default the load modules should be placed in  /sqllib/function-directory of the database server. I have some issues putting load modules in the right directory but before I solve that it would be nice to know if anyone have succeeded in writing stored procedures in Cobol for a DB2 Linux environment.

If there are documentation that I didn't manage to find, please point the direction, but info from someone who actually did it is even better.

regards

Peter

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: external stored procedure in cobol for db2 luw

There is an entire section in the documentation here devoted to using Visual COBOL with DB2 stored procedures both under Windows and Linux/Unix.

There is also a demo program in the Samples Browser under the SQL category that shows how to use this under Windows at least.

0 Likes
PeterI_vfb Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: external stored procedure in cobol for db2 luw

Thank you for your answer Chris. I will be looking into it first thing tomorrow.

Hopefully I can make it work. If not I will ask for your expertise again.

best regards

Peter
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.