New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

modern COBOL

How easy or difficult is it to take advantage of modern COBOL? 

If you find this post useful, please use the Like and/or Accept as a Solution buttons below.
Labels (1)
8 Replies
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

I found it very easy, since you can keep your current COBOL code and add object oriented features to it.  It's not at all like starting over in a new language and having to rewrite/recreate everything.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

What is modern Cobol?
The most Problem many customers have is the new graphical Interface coming with visual Studio! And MF have no many good and professional examples. And also no webinar to learn to use this!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Perhaps you should first read the ebook "Visual COBOL: A Developer's Guide to Modern COBOL", which has a lot of useful information and examples, one might even say it is profressional in appearance too.

https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/assets/application-modernization-and-connectivity/visual-cobol-book
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re 'The most Problem many customers have'

is there a survey somewhere that shows this? If there is, it would be useful if you could post a link to it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

i have buy this book and have work with this example. Modern Cobol must be functional and comprehensive!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Take a Survey by our customer to know where are the most Problem with visual Cobol x.x and Visual Studio?
my wish is to have a new netexpress Version with the same possibilities as VC6.0 (without VS). VS can be used separatly!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

"Take a Survey by our customer to know where are the most Problem with visual Cobol x.x and Visual Studio?"

I don't think this is what Gael, is asking for.. I think he was asking for clarification about your statements.

If you are interested in influencing the products, a good place to look at is the "technical cabs".

https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/events/amctechnicalcab/agenda

0 Likes
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

It's not a simple question to answer.  It's a leading question.  In fact, whenever  I hear such a question, I imagine hearing Admiral Akbar in the background, saying "it's a trap"!  There are question(s) behind the question that need to be addressed.  Why bother to learn modern COBOL, unless ...

There is usually so much more to "it" than just the COBOL itself, and It really depends a lot on the specific circumstances.  .  A typical situation is ... a "project" of converting and "modernizing" one or more existing native green-screen COBOL applications, replacing them with a managed, GUI, Visual COBOL environment, and perhaps changing or re-working some of the functionality along the way.   How extreme will the differences be when comparing the old application / environment to the new?  Is the platform or operating system changing?  Imagine, for example, the impact of going from a traditional  mainframe environment to a Windows Server or Linux Server environment.  Will a database be introduced?  Any system re-design?  What are the expectations of  the users / sponsors / customers?   What about the analysts and programmers involved?  Do they know the old system?  Do they have any experience with the new stuff (GUI, OO, managed?  Hopefully, they are eager and enthusiastic.  Is everybody on the same page?

At minimum, the learning curve for the developers in going from native COBOL to managed  COBOL is not insignificant (although this might be a comparatively small part of the overall project undertaking).  To some extent, the same would be true in going from old Classic Visual Basic to Visual Basic .Net.

Doing all of the above is  usually judged a significant project.  Will the project be funded adequately and given the time required?  Will there be project management involved?  Again, are the expectations realistic? 

Fortunately, Micro Focus has provided lots of compatibility and a good way to ease into the new environment, in that you can for the most part re-compile the application and move it to the new environment and bring it up in production, and then come back and modernize it in phases.

So, in many respects, the above is not something that is unique to COBOL.  It's like any software development / modernization project.  The secret will be to carefully architect, design and manage the project and the new application so that improvements are delivered to the users in carefully-sized incremental phases over the life of the project, with the programmers gaining more experience with the new stuff as the project progresses.  Try to avoid any big bangs.  I could write a book.  What was your question?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.