Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

multiple entry points

Jump to solution

I have converted most of our NetExpress Cobol to unmanaged code under .Net. (compiling with MicroFocus Visual Cobol 2.0).  I’m using a VB front end (Infinity launch pad) which  points to the directory where these dlls are.

I’ve been testing using one entry point, however we have 10 entry points (.exes), and I’m not sure how to make this work in .Net.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: multiple entry points

Jump to solution

Programs that are common between multiple applications should be linked as .DLLs so they can be called from multiple places.

If you are running a batch program then it should be linked as an .EXE so that it can be run standalone. On-line programs that are started by a VB front end should be linked as .DLLs so that they can be called from VB.

If the common programs are linked as .DLLs then they could be called from either the batch .EXE or the on-line .DLLs.

Is this what you are asking?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I am not sure what you mean when you say you have 10 entry points (.exes)  as .exe modules are started as new processes and not usually called from a VB start module.

The normal way to handle calling multiple COBOL programs from a main start module is to package them as .DLLs, in Visual COBOL unmanaged code these are referred to as Link Libraries.

You can place each program in its own .DLL if they are not related in functionality or you could package all the programs into one .DLL that can then be loaded from VB to make the COBOL entry points visible to VB.

Can you please provide a bit more detail about the COBOL programs that you wish to call? Are they written as subprograms that use a LINKAGE SECTION to pass parameters or are they each written as main programs that are to be started as a separate process?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

For instance, we have an online application and a batch application - which are separate from each other, are called by choosing different icons and have different linkage.  However, they often call common programs - such as an issue program or a rating program.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Programs that are common between multiple applications should be linked as .DLLs so they can be called from multiple places.

If you are running a batch program then it should be linked as an .EXE so that it can be run standalone. On-line programs that are started by a VB front end should be linked as .DLLs so that they can be called from VB.

If the common programs are linked as .DLLs then they could be called from either the batch .EXE or the on-line .DLLs.

Is this what you are asking?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.