Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

openESQL Assistant

I'm using VS 2015 with VC 2.3.  Trying to run openESQL Assistant and it prompts me to specify either MS Excel or Access.  When I check either box I receive the error "the operating system is not presently configured to run this application", I acknowledge the error by clicking OK and the VS 2015 program shuts down and restarts.  I cannot find anything on the web with this error. Need help!!

Would like to connect to MS Access, if anyone knows how or where I can find how to do this, that would help.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: openESQL Assistant

I have never encountered this error before either.

What Operating System are you using? At what point during the process does it prompt you to use MS Access or Excel? Are you provided with a list of DSN's to select from? Have you created a new DSN using the ODBC Administration Tool available under the Visual COBOL-->Data Tools group from the Start menu?

Perhaps if you provided a screen shot of the error it would be helpful?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 7 Pro.  After I click VIEW and select MICRO FOCUS SQL TOOLS, then go to OPENESQL ASSISTANT it opens a page with a selection in the left column, either Excel or Access.  I have a screen shot of this with the error after I selected it.  After I click OK, I receive a message that VS 2015 is shutting down, then re-opening.  I have also supplied a screen shot of testing the data connection between the Access DB and VS 2015, which is successful.

I'm not sure where to attach the screen shot, perhaps I'm missing it or an email I can send it to?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

At the bottom of this reply field there is a link "Use rich formatting". Click this and then you will see an Options tab at the top. Click that and you can attach files, although there is a size limit of 64K.

Have you created a DSN yet using the ODBC Administration Tool? Perhaps if there is not one available then it has nothing to display?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

screen shot 1

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

screen shot 2

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've attached all three posts, only one file at a time so three posts.  I've attached the ODBC screen prints.  I have under users an entry for Access, but nothing under SYSTEM & DRIVERS.  When I click ADD, I get only IBM & SQL SERVER options.  Not sure what to do.  I guess I need this in addition to the connection in VS 2015.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've replied with screen shots hours ago, they have not allowed them yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Please attach them to an e-mail and send to me at chris.glazier@microfocus.com

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The OpenESQL Assistant requires that you create a named DSN which can either be a User or System DSN so that you can select the name from the list of available DSNs.

It looks like you do not have the appropriate drivers installed on your system or you are using the wrong version of the ODBC Admin Tool.

From the Start menu-->All Programs open up the Micro Focus Visual COBOL group and select Data Tools then Data Connections and open up the 32-bit version of the ODBC Administration tool. Click on System DSN tab and click Add. Do the drivers for Excel and Access show up on the drivers tab?

If they do not then you will have to download and install the appropriate drivers from Microsoft.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.