Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

"cob32: Compilation and code generation of COBOL not supported in this product" error

Jump to solution

Dear Admin,

Currently I meet this error in my local cobol env, any suggestion on it? Very appreciated with your help,thanks!

honey:/var/cics_regions/TEST/bin # cob -u GSYSTIME.cbl -C DATA-CONTEXT -C CALL-RECOVERY
cob32: Compilation and code generation of COBOL not supported in this product.

#I am using Micro Focus Visual Cobol 3.0 on 64bit x86 Linux SUSE12sp3
#It says that: "cob32: Compilation and code generation of COBOL not supported in this product",
while the cob32 is already under directory /opt/microfocus/VisualCOBOL/bin

honey:/opt/microfocus/VisualCOBOL/bin # ls -lrt|grep cob32
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root   80228 Jun  8  2017 cob32

#I have already done these COBOL env variable settings.
honey:~ # echo $PATH
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/opt/ibm/cics/bin:/root/bin:/opt/microfocus/VisualCOBOL/bin:/root/bin:/opt/ibm/cicstg/jvm180/bin
honey:~ # echo $COBDIR
/opt/microfocus/VisualCOBOL
honey:~ # echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/microfocus/VisualCOBOL/lib:/opt/ibm/cics/lib:/lib

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: "cob32: Compilation and code generation of COBOL not supported in this product" error

Jump to solution
The product that you installed, "setup_cobol_server_3.0_suse_x86_64" is not a development product. This is the COBOL Server product which does not contain a compiler. This product is used to run your already compiled application in a production environment.

The license that you installed is a development license for the Visual COBOL DevHub product which is a development product which contains the compiler. So you have a mismatch of product and license.

The installer that you should have run to install the DevHub product would be setup_visualcobol_devhub_3.0_suse_x86_64.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: "cob32: Compilation and code generation of COBOL not supported in this product" error

Jump to solution
Hi, the error you're showing there suggests you have set your $COBDIR to a COBOL Server/Enterprise Server installation and/or only have a Server license. The server products and licenses do not support the compilation of code, hence the error you have.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I also installed one license file 2701109.mflic in my env. Does it mean this is not a valid license file for cobol compilation? If yes, which kind of license file should I need to apply? Thanks again! By the way, my MF visual cobol installer file is setup_cobol_server_3.0_suse_x86_64.

Enter Option: 4
Install licenses ...
You should have obtained licenses from the Micro Focus activation website
and put them into text file accessible from this computer.
Enter path of file containing new licenses or <Return> to abort: /root/penny/mfviusalcobol3.0/2701109.mflic
Installing ......Licences installed.
Enter Option: 8
Licenses with extra detail
==========================
[Sep 29, 2018 2:21:52 PM] v10000.2.02380
Name
Serial No Expires On Total
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Visual COBOL SOA Dev Hub(PA)
600000695980 364 (Sep 28, 2019) 1 user(s)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
The product that you installed, "setup_cobol_server_3.0_suse_x86_64" is not a development product. This is the COBOL Server product which does not contain a compiler. This product is used to run your already compiled application in a production environment.

The license that you installed is a development license for the Visual COBOL DevHub product which is a development product which contains the compiler. So you have a mismatch of product and license.

The installer that you should have run to install the DevHub product would be setup_visualcobol_devhub_3.0_suse_x86_64.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Chris, thank you so much! Yes, I have a mismatch of product and license. After correcting my product to setup_visualcobol_devhub_3.0_suse_x86_64, it does work! Thanks again!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.