Absent Member.
Absent Member.

windows 8.1 Installation problems

Jump to solution
I am trying to install Visual Cobol on my laptop. I am running Windows 8.1, my visual cobol serial number is 600000526614, product name is, Visual COBOL for Visual Studio Personal Edition, version is 2.1.Update 1.
My problem is once I click the install button it flips to a blank and does nothing,  it doesn't matter if I try the  full install or the web install.  I have tried both types several times with the same results.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Chris I found out that the issue was with IE 11,  Once I switched to google chrome everything worked fine, I guess the problem was the certificates on the microfocus website were not compatible with Internet explorer 11.  Thanks for all your help, I really appreciated it

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Although Visual COBOL isn't officially supported under Windows 8.1 yet, we have done some initial testing and the installation appears to work fine for us.

Can you please provide some more details?

What edition of Windows 8.1 are you using, Home, Professional, Enterprise?

Which Visual COBOL edition are you installing VC for VS2010 or VS2012?

Do you have a version of Visual Studio already installed on your system that you are attempting to install into or are you installing the shell version which is provided with Visual COBOL?

What do you mean by "it flips to a blank and does nothing"?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am running Home edition of Windows 8.1. on VS 2010 Professional (already installed). I tried to install vc before installing this version of Visual Studio, relying on the vc  installation to install the shell but got the same result.  When I hit the install button, it flips to another windoqw (screen) but nothing other then the address bar at the top appears on the screen.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Have you tried downloading the installer and running it directly from your computer?

The file name should be visualcobolvisualstudio21_update1.exe.

When you run it and press the Start button you should see the following:

Is this what you are seeing?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No i didn't get anything.  Where do I get the installer to download.? I will do that and try the exe you sent

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you registered for the download at: www.microfocus.com/.../index.aspx

then you should have received an e-mail with a download link.

If you follow that link and then click on the link for full installer you should have the option to either run it or save it.

Choose Save As instead of Run and save it to a folder on you disk.

Then run it from there.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Chris I found out that the issue was with IE 11,  Once I switched to google chrome everything worked fine, I guess the problem was the certificates on the microfocus website were not compatible with Internet explorer 11.  Thanks for all your help, I really appreciated it

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.