Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

Installing the Oracle SCOTT schema for testing with Visual COBOL

Installing the Oracle SCOTT schema for testing with Visual COBOL

Problem:

I have installed Oracle 11g Express and Pro*COBOL precompiler to test this COBOL program with embedded SQL that uses the SCOTT schema:

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

PROGRAM-ID.  ORATEST.

ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.

DATA DIVISION.

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.

EXEC SQL INCLUDE SQLCA END-EXEC

EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION END-EXEC.

01  USERNAME   PIC X(10).

01  PASSWD     PIC X(10).

EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION END-EXEC.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.

LOGON.

MOVE "SCOTT" TO USERNAME

MOVE "TIGER" TO PASSWD

EXEC SQL

CONNECT

:USERNAME IDENTIFIED BY :PASSWD

END-EXEC.

DISPLAY SQLCODE

STOP RUN.

However when I run my program I receive an error ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied, what is wrong?

Resolution:

The SCOTT schema contains a number of tables that can be used for testing purposes, and needs to be installed.

The follow these steps to install the schema:

• Open a command prompt
  • Change directory to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\rdbms\admin
    this directory contains a number of SQL scripts including SCOTT.SQL
  • Start SQLPlus as follows:

SQLPLUS /AS SYSDBA (this logs onto the database as SYSDBA in order to carry out some admin tasks :

• Having successfully logged on, the SCOTT.SQL script needs to be run as follows:

@SCOTT

• Now check the tables exist by running the following query:

SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM DBA_TABLES WHERE OWNER=’SCOTT’

Now run the program again - successfully:

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2017-10-31 19:40
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.