Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

Visual COBOL Checker: error COBCH1504 : I-O error : 9/181

Visual COBOL Checker: error COBCH1504 : I-O error : 9/181

Problem:

A Visual COBOL solution can be built without issues on a Windows 7 64-bit box, using Visual Studio 2010.
After having moved the solution directory to a shared location on the local intranet, the compilation process abends with the following error:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: MyProject, Configuration: Debug x86 ------
* Compiling K:\MyDirectory\MyProject\MyProgram.cbl
K:\MyDirectory\MyProject\MyProgram.cbl (1234,5) : error COBCH1504 : I-O error : 9/181 obj\x86\Debug\MyProgram.int
 COBOL compile: 0 item(s) succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed.
Build of project "MyProgram.cblproj" NON COMPLETED.

Resolution:

The issue is caused by the fact that the remote location, often a network drive, is considered as an unknown file system and allows 32-bit access by default.
This may cause the Visual COBOL checker to stop with an error, being launched from a 64-bit Operating System.

To force the checker to activate the 64-bit access to the remote drive, set the following tunable to TRUE:

remote_64bit_access TRUE

This tunable can be set in a configuration file, i.e.: myconf.cfg.

The configuration file can be made available to the checker setting the following environment variable:

set COBCONFIG_=C:\MyDirectory\myconf.cfg

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2014-04-09 09:43
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.