Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

Web Site or Web Application ?

Web Site or Web Application ?

In Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2010 R3 additional functionality has been implemented to allow you to create a COBOL Web Application project from the New Project dialog in the Visual Studio IDE :  

Previous versions of the Visual COBOL product allowed you to create a Web Site in COBOL so what are the differences between the two options ?

Not being a Web developer myself I was curious to find out more about the advantages and disadvantages of each option. Fortunately. Microsoft provide a useful summary of the differences which can be found here :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx#wapp_topic5

In addition to the Microsoft documentation, the Visual COBOL product also contains a Book sample implemented as both a Web Site and a Web Application for comparison.

The new functionality in R3 simply means that you now have the flexibility to choose the most suitable architecture for your Web project. 

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Comments

I was recently at the ISV conference in Las Vegas and there was mention of an ASP.NET MVC template being available.  Could you please clarify this and if it exists, direct me as to where I can download it.

Thanks

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2012-06-21 16:58
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.