Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
chndrcks Absent Member.
Absent Member.

11.3 upgrade Pre-Create Audit Database?

I have 11.2.3a installed, and I'm trying to upgrade to 11.3. We use an external oracle database. Our servers are linux (Sles 11 sp3)

When I run the setup.sh program, and get to the DB section, it tells me "Insufficient Privileges" and that I should execute the SQL statements from /var/opt/novell/zenworks/grant-privilege.sql.

Looking at that file, it wants some privileges that our DBA doesn't want to grant. For example: GRANT ALTER ANY TABLE

I assume this is to create the Audit database. Is that right? If so, can we create it in advance? We tried creating one, but I haven't been given the option to tell the installer about it.

I've tried running setup.sh -c and I've also tried setup.sh -c --zcminstall (even though it's not a fresh zcm install), but no luck. Am I missing something?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 11.3 upgrade Pre-Create Audit Database?

Chndrcks,

I think you'll need to open a Service Request: Novell have published a
TID to help with MSSQL, so they may have to create a similar process
for Oracle... http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014681

--

Shaun Pond
newly reminted as a Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
mickers Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,
I'm trying to upgrade out 11.2.4 ZCM Primary Server (W2008r2, MSSQL2008R2), with the database on the same server.
No matter if I pre-create, or auto-create the Audit DB, I get error trying to connect to the database. I have used the server's dns, IP address, as well as localhost and 127.0.0.1.
Is there something I'm missing? I would have assumed connecting to a DB on the same server as the install would be a no-brainer ..
Thanks.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mickers,

where do you see the message - at what point exactly?

--

Shaun Pond
newly reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
mickers Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry Simon, it was 1am, very tired 🙂
Run setup.exe
Jump through the wizard ..
Enter database server details .. Next
Enter database name/credentials.. Next
*Error communicating/connecting with database server.*
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mickers,

I think it's going to need a SR...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
mickers Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sadly, I don't think an SR is going to happen. The cost of an SR is pretty much equal to the annual cost of ZCM for this college, and we don't have any 'included SRs' we can burn. And they are just looking for a reason to dump anything Novell.
Looks like I'll just have to work it out myself.
Thanks for the replies.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mickers,

😞 but I understand - any errors in the install log?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I created an SR to see about getting something created for Oracle.
Just an FYI
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Kjhurni,

thanks, that's got to help

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
mickers Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,
Just a followup. My issue may have been a rookie mistake . . (I'll admit to being a MSSQL rookie)
The SQL Server was setup to allow only 'Windows Authentication', not 'Mixed Authentication - Windows AND SQL). I turned on mixed mode, and the setup got passed my stopping point .. it's currently in the middle of the upgrade, hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

Cheers.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mickers,

makes sense

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
d3b14n Absent Member.
Absent Member.

guys,

have a similar problem. first up my setup. server one zen11 sles 11 sp3 that is running zenworks 11 sp2 11.2.3a. second server zen11-sybase sles 11 sp2. the first server is hosting the whole zenworrks falaffel, the second one is responsible for the database. I'm using a sybase db. so far so good and here comes the so what! I'm trying to update to zenworks 11 sp3. created the audit db on my second server and everything went well! creation finished without any flaws. switching over to my zenserver feeding it the installation media. it wants credentials for the zone. gave it, all good! connection to the initial zenworks db works fine. next, next, next and here comes the tricky part. zenworks wants to talk to the audit db I just created but ... oooohhh too bad, it wont let me! looking at my second db server I can see that the initial zen11.db is running, but my audit db is not and I can't get it to start. either the master db is running or the audit, but I need both of them. what do I have to do? bith db's are on default ports. i.e zen11 is 2638 and audit is 2639 but I can't convince them to run at the same time. is there some dance I have to go for to make it happen? if so, is anyone so kind and be a teacher???
nah for real. can anyone point me in a direction on that one? pretty lost here and ppl are starting to get angry.

thx in advance all you fine ppl and tty soon, hopefully
poldy
0 Likes
d3b14n Absent Member.
Absent Member.

F.Y.I

found the culprit!!! looking at the logs I saw a DB spawn error, googeling the specific error got me the answer that it's related to duplicate names. server name is not the name of the server the DB is running on. it has to be something unique. stupid me!!! totally normal when being asked for a server name that you have to give a new name and not the fqdn of the db server! would be nice to put something like "has to be unique" in brackets next to the server name field so that other dummies like me wont run into the same troubles!
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

D3b14n,

I think that it ought to be in the docs - why not use the feedback link
on the right doc page?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.