Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Chris Mosentine Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Adminstudio created MSIs failing to install

Hi all: I am having a hard time getting adminstudio msi files to properly install. I have used various forms of adminstudio (and prior) since 3.x and never had so much trouble. I use a vm to create my msi installers, that way I can go back to a base snapshot if I have problems. This was worked well for me. But lately my msi installers keep failing with rights issues in the c:\windows\winsxs sub-directories.

Also, I have not been able to generate msi installers using the one-step process. When I attempt to create an installer, the one-step process completely fails to pick up the files in the new program directory. Thisis like the most basic function. I see this in adminstudio version all the way back to version 10.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problems? Thanks, Chris.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Adminstudio created MSIs failing to install

The WinSXS folder is not designed for MSIs Installers.
That is more a Windows managed directory.
I would recommend updating your MSI Installer to not install to the WinSXS directory.

For Capture, Make sure the software is not already on the machine.

However, it is generally far better to automate the Vendors Installer (Likely Created with InstallShield) than try to capture and push.
(The actual MSIs will likely be dumped in a Temp Folder that can be grabbed if you pause part way through a manual install...but even this would not be a supported install since you may lose custom ISS scripts.)
The capture will grab a lot of junk and lose all intelligence.
Further, the software vendor would never support the product installed in such a fashion, since they would have no way of knowing if it was installed properly.

Perhaps using InstallShield to capture options to build an MST may work.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.