Highlighted
pcoen
New Member.

Agent update bug?

When updating 32-bit Vista machines from 10.0.3.2 to 10.1 via System Update, the ProviderOrder registry key is getting messed up if the Novell Client for Vista is installed. I know this has come up in the past as a problem, but this is very, very specific to an upgrade situation.

[HKLM]\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\Provider Order goes from (for example):
"NCFSD,LCredMgr,LanmanWorkstation,RDPNP,webclient" to
"NCFSDLCredMger,LanmanWorkstation,RDPNP,webclient"

This didn't happen on new installs of 10.0.3.2 or 10.1 that I tested under Vista 32-bit, Windows XP is fine, and it didn't happen on the two 64-bit Vista systems we had in the department to test.

The reason I noticed it was that mapped drives would show up as disconnected, even when you could browse them, and msi-based installs off UNC paths to NCP volumes wouldn't run.

Has anyone else seen this?

Luckily, the 400 or so workstations outside IT that would have this problem are all identical, so I can write over that registry key via ZCM, since it's a known value before and after. For anyone with a more varied deployment, this could be a real headache.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Agent update bug?

pcoen,

I will pass this along.

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
pcoen
New Member.

Thanks! One nice thing I have noticed is that in Vista, repairing the registry key solves the "disconnected mapped drive" problem right away, no reboot required. As soon as you set it, the next time you refresh the drive listing under "Computer", the red "X" next to each goes away and Windows seems to start treating connections to NCP resources normally. So I'm going to be able to push out the 10.1 update, and have a bundle that looks for the "broken" key value I'm seeing and replace it with a repaired one. But, again, I have 400 or so identical computers 🙂
0 Likes
Absent Member.

pcoen,

> Thanks! One nice thing I have noticed is that in Vista, repairing the
> registry key solves the "disconnected mapped drive" problem right
> away, no reboot required. As soon as you set it, the next time you
> refresh the drive listing under "Computer", the red "X" next to each
> goes away and Windows seems to start treating connections to NCP
> resources normally. So I'm going to be able to push out the 10.1
> update, and have a bundle that looks for the "broken" key value I'm
> seeing and replace it with a repaired one. But, again, I have 400 or
> so identical computers 🙂

Hehe at least you have a fix.

--
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Are you able to open a sr? It will be a couple days before anyone here
can test this.

--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.