Highlighted
New Member.

Automatic uninstall of unassigned bundles

Jump to solution

Newcomer to this forum and I have some questions regarding the option to uninstall unassigned bundles. Specifically I'm talking about the one found under: Configuration > Device Management > ZENworks Explorer Configuration and the option "Unassigned Bundles: Uninstall after X days."

We'd like enable this option as it would make it so much easier to uninstall software, and especially move licenses between computers.

However, we have some questions:

1. If this is enabled will it affect ALL bundles or only the ones that have "Enable uninstall" checked under in the Actions section of a bundle?
  2. You can set a grace period between unassigning the bundle to it actually being uninstalled on the client. What would happen if I accidentally unassigned a bundle and later assigned it again? Would it be uninstalled at the client or would it be left untouched?
  3. The Uninstall options of a bundle has a setting called "Uninstall application if not used within X days". What is the "not used" based on? Number of launch actions? Something from Asset Management?
  4. Are there any know issues or problems about these features that I should be aware about?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Automatic uninstall of unassigned bundles

Jump to solution

It only impacts bundles that have the "Enable Uninstall" action enabled.

If you re-assign the bundle, it would not be uninstalled.

"Not Used" applies to the bundle itself being "Launched" or "Installed", not running a standard, non-ZENworks shortcut that gets installed by the application.

There are not any "Issues", but take caution about building creating new bundles.  I've seen folks do something such as build a bundle such as "FireFox X" and deploy it but then Build "FireFox XX" and replace the assignments and wonder why Firefox started uninstalling from PCs.  When using this feature, use of the SandBox for Testing and use the same bundle to upgrade, even across major versions.  

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Automatic uninstall of unassigned bundles

Jump to solution

It only impacts bundles that have the "Enable Uninstall" action enabled.

If you re-assign the bundle, it would not be uninstalled.

"Not Used" applies to the bundle itself being "Launched" or "Installed", not running a standard, non-ZENworks shortcut that gets installed by the application.

There are not any "Issues", but take caution about building creating new bundles.  I've seen folks do something such as build a bundle such as "FireFox X" and deploy it but then Build "FireFox XX" and replace the assignments and wonder why Firefox started uninstalling from PCs.  When using this feature, use of the SandBox for Testing and use the same bundle to upgrade, even across major versions.  

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.