Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Blocked Chrome Updates via GPO but want to Update via ZPM

We have put a generic GPO in place on our network that disables Chrome updating. It works well as when we go into "About Google Chrome" we see the following:

Version 41.0.2272.118 m (This is the current version)
Updates are disabled by the administrator

We did this so we can manage all our 3rd party applications within ZPM. When we apply the update to Chrome it fails with the error "failure Occurred"

Any anyone else tried to manage all updates via ZPM with the Chrome Group Policy set to Disable all Updates?

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Blocked Chrome Updates via GPO but want to Update via ZP

edwardja;2352210 wrote:
We have put a generic GPO in place on our network that disables Chrome updating. It works well as when we go into "About Google Chrome" we see the following:

Version 41.0.2272.118 m (This is the current version)
Updates are disabled by the administrator

We did this so we can manage all our 3rd party applications within ZPM. When we apply the update to Chrome it fails with the error "failure Occurred"

Any anyone else tried to manage all updates via ZPM with the Chrome Group Policy set to Disable all Updates?

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would expect this to fail.

I'm not sure if this link is still valid, but it may achieve your goal of disabling automatic updates....
http://www.chromefans.org/chrome-tutorial/how-to-disable-google-chrome-automatic-updates.htm
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the suggestion but have had a play around with this to no avail... 😞

There must be a GPO setting where it would allow Administrators to update and Standard Users not too...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

edwardja;2352228 wrote:

There must be a GPO setting where it would allow Administrators to update and Standard Users not too...

That would be more of a question for MS/Google. I imagine however it's a Google extension to AD for GPO. Similar to the third-party GPO for Firefox that you have to install/buy?

By default ZPM uses a dynamic administrator to apply patches, so I don't think it's an "admin" vs. "users" setting, but rather how the GPO plugin/add-on is/was implemented.

I know with Firefox, you can simply disable the auto-updates and lock it, and that has no affect with the ZPM delivery of Firefox patches (at least we haven't seen any). But we don't use Chrome, so I can't really help you out much on that one.

It would not, however, surprise me if Google requires an all-or-nothing approach. They like to do things that way.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

edwardja;2352228 wrote:

From what I can tell:

https://support.google.com/installer/answer/146164?hl=en

You only get 3 choices, and the only way to TOTALLY prevent users from doing an update is the third option which apparently has the side effect of disabling updates all together.

This seems to indicate that you *may* be able to get a Google .MSI and deploy that, but it also seems to mention that Google doesn't release those MSI files very often:
http://serverfault.com/questions/364150/running-google-chrome-updates-from-a-centralized-location
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2352252 wrote:
From what I can tell:

https://support.google.com/installer/answer/146164?hl=en

You only get 3 choices, and the only way to TOTALLY prevent users from doing an update is the third option which apparently has the side effect of disabling updates all together.

This seems to indicate that you *may* be able to get a Google .MSI and deploy that, but it also seems to mention that Google doesn't release those MSI files very often:
http://serverfault.com/questions/364150/running-google-chrome-updates-from-a-centralized-location

For those that are interested we have figured out how to do this.

The default AMD GPO templates that we downloaded from Google included a few Google Applications and through trial and error the application Google Binaries needed to be disabled whilst keeping the other applications enabled. This enabled us to install the latest patches from Google meanwhile disabling updates for the users.

Thanks for you input kjhurni!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

edwardja;2352318 wrote:
For those that are interested we have figured out how to do this.

The default AMD GPO templates that we downloaded from Google included a few Google Applications and through trial and error the application Google Binaries needed to be disabled whilst keeping the other applications enabled. This enabled us to install the latest patches from Google meanwhile disabling updates for the users.

Thanks for you input kjhurni!

Good news! Thanks for sharing the feedback as it may help others.

So in the GPO (I think one of the links I posted had screenshots), what was the setting that you had to change?

Maybe would make a cool solutions article so you could get some points?

--Kevin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've found to manage Chrome you're going to need to use AD GPO for 99% of the work. Google does provide some GPO extensions that allow you to disable updates, block/allow/force certain add-ins, set home page, etc... I still use ZCM for deploying Chrome and any updates but you have to use GPO to manage it.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.