joebrug Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Bundle design

Now that we're starting to deploy ZCM to satellite offices, I'm wondering if a bundle re-design is in question.

Currently, in our main office, i have a bundle "GroupWise" that has install actions to "Install Network MSI", which points to a local server (not in the repo), followed by a Delete file action (just deletes groupwise.lnk from desktop), then a Launch action that launces grpwise.exe from C:\program files. So now, any time a user launches the icon from their desktop.. it checks if its installed, if it is, it just launches grpwise.

Problem is, if I now assign this bundle to Salt Lake City workstations, they'll install groupwise over the wan. So I either have to create a second groupwise bundle that runs files locally off the SLC server, similar to the set up here. or I can create a whole new bundle , zip up the gw files and upload the zip file to the content repo, which would then push out to the satellite servers, so everyone would get their files from their local server.

I realize that the zip/repo option would make the bundles a little more complicated by having to add unzip/install/delete actions, etc...
but also, would that then cause users in the main office, who already have the latest groupwise installed, to have it re-installed via the new bundle? Trying to think of cleanest way to accomplish this. Thanks for tips!

#novell on efnet
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Bundle design

What I would do is either

a) Put the files in the repo and replicate that
b) do as you do today, but parametrise the link to the local files so
they are pulled from the closest location.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Also, Once you upgrade to 11.x, you can use Action Level System
Requirements which can check to see if the GW version is updated and if
so skip the install.

On 4/5/2012 7:06 PM, joebrug wrote:
>
> Now that we're starting to deploy ZCM to satellite offices, I'm
> wondering if a bundle re-design is in question.
>
> Currently, in our main office, i have a bundle "GroupWise" that has
> install actions to "Install Network MSI", which points to a local server
> (not in the repo), followed by a Delete file action (just deletes
> groupwise.lnk from desktop), then a Launch action that launces
> grpwise.exe from C:\program files. So now, any time a user launches the
> icon from their desktop.. it checks if its installed, if it is, it just
> launches grpwise.
>
> Problem is, if I now assign this bundle to Salt Lake City workstations,
> they'll install groupwise over the wan. So I either have to create a
> second groupwise bundle that runs files locally off the SLC server,
> similar to the set up here. or I can create a whole new bundle , zip up
> the gw files and upload the zip file to the content repo, which would
> then push out to the satellite servers, so everyone would get their
> files from their local server.
>
> I realize that the zip/repo option would make the bundles a little more
> complicated by having to add unzip/install/delete actions, etc...
> but also, would that then cause users in the main office, who already
> have the latest groupwise installed, to have it re-installed via the new
> bundle? Trying to think of cleanest way to accomplish this. Thanks for
> tips!
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

joebrug,

Another option is if you have file servers in your satellite offices, you could use some if statements in your login scripts that map drives in order to map a different file server based on subnet.

That way clients at the satellite offices map to the server that is closest to them.

pitcherj

joebrug;2187649 wrote:
Now that we're starting to deploy ZCM to satellite offices, I'm wondering if a bundle re-design is in question.

Currently, in our main office, i have a bundle "GroupWise" that has install actions to "Install Network MSI", which points to a local server (not in the repo), followed by a Delete file action (just deletes groupwise.lnk from desktop), then a Launch action that launces grpwise.exe from C:\program files. So now, any time a user launches the icon from their desktop.. it checks if its installed, if it is, it just launches grpwise.

Problem is, if I now assign this bundle to Salt Lake City workstations, they'll install groupwise over the wan. So I either have to create a second groupwise bundle that runs files locally off the SLC server, similar to the set up here. or I can create a whole new bundle , zip up the gw files and upload the zip file to the content repo, which would then push out to the satellite servers, so everyone would get their files from their local server.

I realize that the zip/repo option would make the bundles a little more complicated by having to add unzip/install/delete actions, etc...
but also, would that then cause users in the main office, who already have the latest groupwise installed, to have it re-installed via the new bundle? Trying to think of cleanest way to accomplish this. Thanks for tips!
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks guys. I do have file servers in each office. Was thinking how to accomplish that in a single bundle. For example, here in the main office things are on \\fs4\vol3\apps\ (X:), in SLC, their X also maps to \\fs4\vol3\apps\, but they also have \\fsu\vol3\apps mapped to their Y: drive.

Craig, would love to go to ZCM11, but zcm 10 is running on a full blown MS SQL 2005 install.. not an easy migration path to ZCM11, if i recall

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Joebrug,

> not an easy migration path to ZCM11, if i recall

MS ended mainstream support for SQL Server 2005 in 2011, don't you want
to be supportable?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

joebrug,

You should be able to map a single drive, let's say K:\, in each location, and reference that single path in your bundle for anything launched from that share.

I can think of a couple of ways to accomplish that mapping, but it depends on how you organize your devices in ZCM and how you organize your network.

If each office is on a different subnet, then you could do some hex math on the IP address in combination with IF THEN statements (e.g. IF ADDRESS > "HEXVALUE" AND ADDRESS < "HEXVALUE" THEN), and as long as the device falls into one of the ranges you have defined, it'll map to the correct server. (you'd probably want a failsafe that maps to a central server in case a device comes up with a subnet you have not defined).

If you have organized your devices by office in the ZCM server, you could set a "System Variable" in "(Details) on a folder - Settings Tab - Device Management Section - System Variables", and set it to the proper UNC path to the server for each of your logical units (e.g. low-level folder for each office), and then reference that using the ${VARIABLENAME} notation in your bundle. Make sure to keep the variable name the same, just change the content of it. Then as long as that variable is defined (workstation object is in a folder that inherits the variable), the bundle will run from the appropriate share.

pitcherj

joebrug;2187795 wrote:
Thanks guys. I do have file servers in each office. Was thinking how to accomplish that in a single bundle. For example, here in the main office things are on \\fs4\vol3\apps\ (X:), in SLC, their X also maps to \\fs4\vol3\apps\, but they also have \\fsu\vol3\apps mapped to their Y: drive.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Of course. I also was hoping to go back to the embedded Sybase database, as I'm sure my environment could handle that.. I couldn't find a way to migrate from MS SQL 2005 to embedded Sybase. Know of any way to do that?

I'll look into upgrading the DB to SQL 2k8, so I can get to 11.. unless theres a way to get back to sybase

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, there is no way to go back short of building a new zone and moving
the devices and bundles over.

On 4/10/2012 2:06 PM, joebrug wrote:
>
> Of course. I also was hoping to go back to the embedded Sybase
> database, as I'm sure my environment could handle that.. I couldn't find
> a way to migrate from MS SQL 2005 to embedded Sybase. Know of any way
> to do that?
>
> I'll look into upgrading the DB to SQL 2k8, so I can get to 11.. unless
> theres a way to get back to sybase
>
>

--
Novell Knowledge Partner

--
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

yuck, that sounds messy.. but is it that bad?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Probably.............

On 4/10/2012 7:06 PM, joebrug wrote:
>
> yuck, that sounds messy.. but is it that bad?
>
>

--
Novell Knowledge Partner

--
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Or a golden opportunity for someone well-versed in SQL to make a
killing 🙂

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.