Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
anbaxter Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bundle to install printers

I have a print server running windows 2008 R2. I need to make some bundles that will allow students to install printers from that print server. Normally I would just make some printer policies or group polices to apply the printers, but in this case we would like to let the students choose which printers they want installed? Is it possible to have a bundle call and apply a printer policy? Keep in mind that the students do NOT have admin rights on their laptops so the drivers will have to be installed with system/admin rights.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Bundle to install printers

You can always make a bundle that calls the RunDLL32 command with the
various Printer Switches. Setting the Bundle to Run as "Dynamic
Administrator" should likely do it.

On 8/14/2012 3:56 PM, anbaxter wrote:
>
> I have a print server running windows 2008 R2. I need to make some
> bundles that will allow students to install printers from that print
> server. Normally I would just make some printer policies or group
> polices to apply the printers, but in this case we would like to let the
> students choose which printers they want installed? Is it possible to
> have a bundle call and apply a printer policy? Keep in mind that the
> students do NOT have admin rights on their laptops so the drivers will
> have to be installed with system/admin rights.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
jchipman
New Member.

We've accomplished that in a bundle using the Microsoft utility C:\Windows\System32\spool\tools\PrintBrm.exe. 😄

First we install the printer we want to deploy on the local system.

Then usining PrintBRM, we export the printer to a file *.printerexport. This will capture the port, driver, and printer object.

After that we create a printer install bundle. Requires unloading the printerexport file into ZCM.

We usually place the printerexport file into the C:\Windows\System32\spool\tools folder and then call the command C:\Windows\System32\spool\tools\PrintBrm.exe -R -O Force -F <insert name here>.printerexport.

This is Run as secure system user.

We have found that is is better than using the RunDll32 way, which we did when we first went to Vista. :cool:
0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i've done something similar to what jchipman has done, I found the import / install on the client machine to be a bit slow compared to just installing the printer, but it did work quite well with non admin users

0 Likes
GuillaumeBDEB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I created my bundle with these steps. Please note I created this bundle under Windows XP. So it need some tweaking for Windows 7.

1- Install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
2- Run script:
%windir%\SysWOW64\Regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Prnadmin.dll"
3- Run script:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
%windir%\SysWOW64\cscript portmgr.vbs -a -p IP_x.x.x.x -h x.x.x.x -t LPR
4- Run script:
RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Printer name" /f "C:\Temp\file.inf"
5- Run script:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
%windir%\SysWOW64\cscript prnmgr.vbs -a -b "Printer name" -m "Printer model" -r "IP_x.x.x.x"

Hope it helps!
0 Likes
jchipman
New Member.

Issue we would see with this method was printer would not ALWYAS show unless the spooler was restarted. Varying degress of success with the RunDll32 method. Printer would usually work / display after restarting the spooler.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.