Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cabinet Maker Popup Windows

mleblanc;2405014 wrote:
+1 I'm having the same issues, actually with a Dell KACE K1000 appliance doing our patching, but I couldn't find anything else online specific to KACE.

Interesting. That, combined with the other threads I've seen/posted also indicate that the issue crops up with other products, and isn't just a Novell/ZPM issue. There must be some sort of timing or file association problem then that causes the problem.

Hopefully a solution will be found. The few instances I could find via Google were with non-ZPM/ZCM products and MS forums didn't seem to show a common cause/issue.
0 Likes
jdlf_wf4 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Since numerous customers out here run into this issue I thought it would be good to post the following update:

The issue with makecab.exe popups during patch deployment is not caused by Novell code, this is a specific Microsoft process.
This was known already, however a solution from Novell side was needed since the popups only appear during patch deployment.

Some background on makecab;
The makecab.exe popup is a result of CBS log rotation (CBS is Component-Based Servicing), which is a Microsoft process (sfc.exe) and the CBS log is written and updated when components are installed, updated or uninstalled.
The CBS log therefor also grows during the ZPM DAU (Discover Applicable Update) process and of course during the actual patch deployment.
When the CBS.log reaches about 50 MB in size the log rotates and CBS.log is compressed into a CAB file, this is done by the Cabinet maker, makecab.exe
There are situations where CBS log grows very large, why the CBS log is growing way larger then 50MB and not rotating is a Microsoft specific issue and not something Novell can change or influence.
There are Microsoft articles out there pointing to specific KBs resolving that CBS log rotation issue.

Normally when the CBS log rolls over and gets compressed the makecab.exe is called by the TrustedInstaller.exe and no popups are seen by end users

But during patch deployment the compression by makecab.exe happens under remediate.exe and therefor users are seeing these popups.
The remediate.exe process runs as DAU (Dynamic Administrative User). DAU itself is user interactive and therefor you see the popups.

Since the actual processes causing this (CBS logging and makecab) is not Novells' we cannot change it's behavior, however we can modify the patch deployment to happen as SYSTEM instead of DAU.
SYSTEM is not user interactive and therefor no popups will be shown by makecab.exe to end users, however in the background the CBS log will still grow and makecab.exe will still run.

Due to internal discussions it took time to come to a solution going forward, as we need to make sure that customers keep having a working and supported ZPM solution.
Going forward you can run ZPM as SYSTEM and in TID 7016883 it is described how to change from running ZPM as DAU to SYSTEM ( https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016883 )

Changing ZPM to run as SYSTEM will help resolve the popup issue for your end users.

I hope the above makes sense and resolves this issue for you.

Kind regards,
Johan de la Ferté
ZENworks Support Engineer
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jdlf_wf4;2408372 wrote:
Hi,

Since numerous customers out here run into this issue I thought it would be good to post the following update:

The issue with makecab.exe popups during patch deployment is not caused by Novell code, this is a specific Microsoft process.
This was known already, however a solution from Novell side was needed since the popups only appear during patch deployment.

Some background on makecab;
The makecab.exe popup is a result of CBS log rotation (CBS is Component-Based Servicing), which is a Microsoft process (sfc.exe) and the CBS log is written and updated when components are installed, updated or uninstalled.
The CBS log therefor also grows during the ZPM DAU (Discover Applicable Update) process and of course during the actual patch deployment.
When the CBS.log reaches about 50 MB in size the log rotates and CBS.log is compressed into a CAB file, this is done by the Cabinet maker, makecab.exe
There are situations where CBS log grows very large, why the CBS log is growing way larger then 50MB and not rotating is a Microsoft specific issue and not something Novell can change or influence.
There are Microsoft articles out there pointing to specific KBs resolving that CBS log rotation issue.

Normally when the CBS log rolls over and gets compressed the makecab.exe is called by the TrustedInstaller.exe and no popups are seen by end users

But during patch deployment the compression by makecab.exe happens under remediate.exe and therefor users are seeing these popups.
The remediate.exe process runs as DAU (Dynamic Administrative User). DAU itself is user interactive and therefor you see the popups.

Since the actual processes causing this (CBS logging and makecab) is not Novells' we cannot change it's behavior, however we can modify the patch deployment to happen as SYSTEM instead of DAU.
SYSTEM is not user interactive and therefor no popups will be shown by makecab.exe to end users, however in the background the CBS log will still grow and makecab.exe will still run.

Due to internal discussions it took time to come to a solution going forward, as we need to make sure that customers keep having a working and supported ZPM solution.
Going forward you can run ZPM as SYSTEM and in TID 7016883 it is described how to change from running ZPM as DAU to SYSTEM ( https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016883 )

Changing ZPM to run as SYSTEM will help resolve the popup issue for your end users.

I hope the above makes sense and resolves this issue for you.

Kind regards,
Johan de la Ferté
ZENworks Support Engineer

Thank you Johan! That would explain why Dell KACE user was having the same issue, along with non-Novell/ZCM users (if you google for the issue).

--Kevin
0 Likes
marklar23 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wow, I didn't realize that this thread took off the way that it did.

I have the my GPO set for Configure Automatic Updates set to Disabled, but I can still set them off manually. Running Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

I've also noticed that the log files that get generated in c:\windows\logs\cbs can often get to over 2GB in size. I just cleaned up a 2GB, 5GB and 9GB on my test system, and on the smaller files that I could open I noticed lots of messages like:
Failed to get session package state for package: Package_[number]_for[KB may be in patch list]~[GUID]~[architecture]~~[version] [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
Specific Example:
Failed to get session package state for package: Package_2_for_KB3078667~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

This popup cabinet window is definitely something connected to when ZPM pushes certain patches, I don't know what triggers them. It doesn't appear if I let Windows Update get updates/patches.
0 Likes
Highlighted
cesmad Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello,
We have the same issue with cab maker popup windows. Is anything new in this problem?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.