Highlighted
mplep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Call Login Prompt Automatically after Agent Service Restart?

Hi,

I'm trying to produce something which will help users restart the ZENworks Agent and login to ZCM again if the Agent crashes, with as few actions required as possible and without having to logoff/reboot. I've had some intermittent Agent crashes and as we manage all their Start Menu items with ZCM, they get kind of lost when it all dissapears.

It's easy to produce a local shortcut which will restart the ZENworks Agent service, but this doesn't automatically log the user back into ZCM or bring up the Agent Login screen automatically. They would need to double click the service start icon, right click on the ZCM System Tray Icon, select Login and enter credentials. Not hard I know, but even that task will be too much for some users. I want just one icon to double click that would restart the service and bring up the login prompt.

Are there any switches for the ZenNotifyIcon which provides the System Tray icon that I can call to bring up the Login prompt automtically? It would be great if the Agent reauthenticated itself with the initial login credentials automatically, meaning I wouldn't need them to re-login, but I guess that would be a security nightmare.

Any help appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
mplep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Call Login Prompt Automatically after Agent Service Rest

I guess I could associate their Start Menu items with a Device Group, that would at least bring back the Start Menu upon Agent restart without needing to Login. But they have several User and OU specfic items which will still be missing.
0 Likes
jcsmith1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've tried this too and it's helpful for at least getting them the basic bundles they need. Now at least during this problem I can tell the testers all they have to do is log in through the Z when they need the rest of their packages.
0 Likes
ElliottRScott Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jcsmith1;1650034 wrote:
I've tried this too and it's helpful for at least getting them the basic bundles they need. Now at least during this problem I can tell the testers all they have to do is log in through the Z when they need the rest of their packages.

Hi folks,

Have you been able to make progress on this issue at all? I'm running into the same scenario, and I'd like to apply the KISS method as best as possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Elliott
0 Likes
jcsmith1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I saw this topic title and thought "This would be perfect!" then I noticed it was an old one...

I have an open SR with Novell and after going through one tech my SR was given to someone named Troy Gordon. I've been updating my SR, but haven't heard anything as of yet.

I've reported having this exact same issue. It happens randomly and recently it happened to a box that NEVER had the issue before. I've also deployed six 10.1.1 testers and at least one of them has some issue when they first login. Most of them aren't aware of it until it comes time for them to access a resource assigned to their group, so I have to keep following up with them in the morning to see how the problem is doing.

Here's the error I see in the Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Date: 9/26/2008
Time: 6:18:35 AM
User: N/A
Computer: <computer name>
Description:
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.1433 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (79FFEE24) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

There is also one about the service failing and it restarting (because I told it to).
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jcsmith1;1664814 wrote:
I saw this topic title and thought "This would be perfect!" then I noticed it was an old one...

I have an open SR with Novell and after going through one tech my SR was given to someone named Troy Gordon. I've been updating my SR, but haven't heard anything as of yet.

I've reported having this exact same issue. It happens randomly and recently it happened to a box that NEVER had the issue before. I've also deployed six 10.1.1 testers and at least one of them has some issue when they first login. Most of them aren't aware of it until it comes time for them to access a resource assigned to their group, so I have to keep following up with them in the morning to see how the problem is doing.

Here's the error I see in the Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Date: 9/26/2008
Time: 6:18:35 AM
User: N/A
Computer: <computer name>
Description:
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.1433 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (79FFEE24) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

There is also one about the service failing and it restarting (because I told it to).

We also see this happening randomly on our workstations 😞

Thomas
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Call Login Prompt Automatically after Agent Service Restart?

thsundel,

>We also see this happening randomly on our workstations 😞

My thought is that there is DLL corruption happening. Are the machines
running .Net 2 or 3?

--
Jared Jennings
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
jcsmith1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Our machines all versions and are fully patched.

Tony at Novell left me a voice mail stating this was going to be fixed in 10.1.2 but there was no release date for this. If this gets fixed and also the issue in this post:

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-policies/348789-passwords-out-sync-novell-zenworks-windows.html

...then we may be going ahead with our deployment of Zen 10.
0 Likes
jcsmith1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jcsmith1;1670239 wrote:
Our machines all versions and are fully patched.

Our machines have all versions of Dot Net and are fully patched.

I'm going to submit an Enhancement request to put an edit button for forum posts. 😉
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jcsmith1;1670240 wrote:
Our machines have all versions of Dot Net and are fully patched.

I'm going to submit an Enhancement request to put an edit button for forum posts. 😉

An edit button would be great! 🙂

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Edit Buttons are not gonna happen since this NTP based, even though there is
a front end.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

"thsundel" <thsundel@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:thsundel.3i1j2o@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> jcsmith1;1670240 Wrote:
>> Our machines -have- all versions -of Dot Net- and are fully patched.
>>
>> I'm going to submit an Enhancement request to put an edit button for
>> forum posts. 😉

>
> An edit button would be great! 🙂
>
> Thomas
>
>
> --
> thsundel
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=345756
>

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Craig Wilson,

>Edit Buttons are not gonna happen since this NTP based, even though there
>is a front end.

Pop the bubble!!

--
Jared Jennings
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.