Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
orangoutang Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can't Login After Zen Agent 10.3 Upgrade on Workstations

Hi All,

Last friday we successfully upgraded both of our Zenworks servers to 10.3a, with seemingly no problems. Both completed the upgrade and restarted with no issues. However, after upgrading a handful of test workstations to the new version of the agent, we can't then log into them. We get the error "Unable to log into the network because the login credentials or the server certificate is incorrect". The login credentials are definitely correct, and this happens on both our Windows 7 and Windows XP workstations. I've tried unregistering and re-registering, completely uninstalling and reinstalling, but continue to get the same error. I've also tried registering with both of our ZEN servers independently, but still got the same problem. We're using the internal ZENworks certificate authority. Reinstalling the 10.2.2 agent gets the PC working again.

If anyone would be able to shed some light on this problem, I'd be eternally grateful!

My thanks,

Gareth
Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
25 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Can't Login After Zen Agent 10.3 Upgrade on Workstations

I've just performed a fresh installation of Windows 7 and installed the 10.3 Zen agent, and I still get "Unable to log into the network because the login credentials or the server certificate is incorrect". To confirm, I then uninstalled 10.3 and installed 10.2.2, and it logs in fine. The trouble is, we're experiencing a problem with 10.2.2 whereby intermittently our users log into the workstations, but ZEN doesn't log in (on Windows 7 only), so they don't get any user assigned bundles or policies. They have to go to the ZEN trey icon (which also sometimes crashes out), and login to ZEN that way. I've read that 10.3 resolves that issue, but we can't get it to work! Very frustrating!
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Just a thought. Check you user source is OK - no red dot in the status button. Even try to remove and then reinstate it.

Cheers
0 Likes
jbericks Contributor.
Contributor.

I've posted this several times, and it seems I was the only one with this problem, but...

10.3 added Authentication Servers to the Closest Server Rules. If your CSR's are configured to ignore the Closest Server Default rule, you must specify authentication servers in them.

Our 10.3 devices got the same failed login to the realm until I added auth servers.

Just something to check!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated. It seems that our problem is now resolved. The user source was fine as I didn't need to touch it; likewise, the closest server rules were also fine.

The problem seems to lie with the server upgrade and the %ZENWORKS_HOME%\share\tomcat\webapps\CasaAuthTokenSvc folder. I actually stopped all of the the ZEN services on the server, deleted the tmp file from the CasaAuthTokenSvc folder, then restarted. Upon loading up, the tmp file was recreated, and suddenly our 10.3a clients could log in.

It seems that if you have more than 1 ZEN server in your environment, you can do this on any of the servers and all of them will then start to work correctly. I actually tried this on our secondary ZEN server which is used primarily for imaging, and the primary one started working as well.

I hope this makes sense to you, and hope that those of you with similar problems will find this post useful.

Thanks again,
Gareth.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Sorry, scratch that last post.

Just installed some more 10.3 agents and they won't allow me to login. But the original ones are still working. I've had just about enough of ZEN and might recommend we find an alternative product. One that isn't constantly in beta testing.

Thanks anyway,
Gareth
0 Likes
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Crud. I'm having the same issue.

Last night our servers upgraded just fine and existing 10.2.2 clients can log in just fine, but not when I upgrade a client device.

Its strange because if I reimage a device using an addon image with the latest 10.3 Zenworks Agent, I can log in just fine.

Failure only occurs when upgrading a 10.2.2 client to 10.3.
0 Likes
chucks0 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Check out TID 7002202
0 Likes
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

chucks0;1994287 wrote:
Check out TID 7002202

That's for 10.1 but I still checked and zenworks:zenworks owns everything.
0 Likes
peheiss Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell Identity Store Service is not running on Client. Thats why it can't log in.

"Novell Identity Store is used by CASA (Common Authentication Service Adapter) to encypt and store credentials entered by users. These credentials can be used to authenticate to additional network services"

uninstalled casa and reinstalled .. works. thank god it were just 3 workstations out of 150.
0 Likes
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peheiss;1996317 wrote:
Novell Identity Store Service is not running on Client. Thats why it can't log in.

"Novell Identity Store is used by CASA (Common Authentication Service Adapter) to encypt and store credentials entered by users. These credentials can be used to authenticate to additional network services"

uninstalled casa and reinstalled .. works. thank god it were just 3 workstations out of 150.

Were only 3 workstations experiencing this or did you only upgrade 3 workstations to 10.3?

I cannot manually reinstall casa on 1800+ workstations, its not an option.

I'm thinking I need to rebuild the upgrade packages, but the fresh install packages (via https://<server name>/zenworks-setup) work fine. Anyone know how to do this?
0 Likes
peheiss Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kfreise;1996369 wrote:
Were only 3 workstations experiencing this or did you only upgrade 3 workstations to 10.3?

I cannot manually reinstall casa on 1800+ workstations, its not an option.

I'm thinking I need to rebuild the upgrade packages, but the fresh install packages (via https://<server name>/zenworks-setup) work fine. Anyone know how to do this?

nope all are win7 64 bit devices, update was from 10.2.2 to 10.3.0a ... those 3 devices were the only ones with errors
0 Likes
kfreise Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peheiss;1996382 wrote:
nope all are win7 64 bit devices, update was from 10.2.2 to 10.3.0a ... those 3 devices were the only ones with errors

I should post an update:

We rebuilt our agent packages through the ZCM and it solved our issue. We also upgraded our primary and imaging servers to 10.3.1. The client will be upgraded soon (testing went well).
0 Likes
JSmid6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well last thursday the 10.3.1 update rolled out to our workstations and server and we came back this morning and nothing is able to log on, we are getting this error "unable to log into the network because the login credentials or the server certificate is incorrect". This is accross windows 7 and XP. I did notice that our server failed the update with an error "This device was unable to rebuild the deployment packages. Check the loader-messages.log on the device for more details."

I have no idea what happened but we have our test school down right now and nobody is able to log in 😞
0 Likes
animalafa Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bit of further information.

When installing the 10.3.1 agent on a workstation with the 10.3 agent (don't know about other versions as we are all up to 10.3) when the authtokenclient.msi is called and run it deletes the file Novell.Casa.Client.Auth.dll from the C:\Windows\assembly directory but doesn't then replace it with another version.
The authtokenclient.msi then needs to be run after the install has finished, selecting repair, to replace the file.
If the PC is rebooted without the authtokenclient.msi being run then the ZCM authentication fails (as you'd expect with no Novell.Casa.Client.Auth.dll).
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.