Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
PaulBenjamin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot get Agents to Register

Howdy!

We just installed on a brand-new server (it's actually our 2nd server, but the first one was just for learning and messing around) and are running 10.0.1.0. Everything appears to be fine on the server end, but none of the agents on the clients will register with the server. The thing is, we don't think it's the clients.

W2k3 server, XP clients. The clients can get to the server just fine (PING, nslookup, login to ZCM via IE etc etc), log file even shows "Found host: <IP>".

However, all over the logs we have at the end of many lines, "Status: Bad"

The only major difference we know of with this server compared to our first one is that now we're using an external SQL db instead of the local datastore. But that shouldn't affect registration, right?! One other thing was that many (if not all) of the ZENworks services on the server were logging with that odd username (__z_9__ something like that), so we switched them all to use the Local System like our first server was doing. But that didn't appear to make any difference whatsoever. Even when downloading the full agent install from the server after making these changes and installing it on a fresh client.

Also, for what it's worth, the agent on the server logs in just fine.

The client agents all show (in their Properties):

ZENworks Adaptive Agent Properties:
Device Name: Unavailable
Last Contact with Server: <correct date and time>

ZENworks Server Properties:
Management Zone: Unavailable
Server DNS: Unavailable
Server Address: Unavailable

And here are some of the log errors that we know are wrong (just let me know if I should include more log information):

[Connectman] Found host: <server>, status: Bad
[Connectman] Found host: <server IP>, status: Bad
[RegistrationManager] [] [Unable to read the osTargets.xml file from any server.

Suffice to say we cannot get any bundles, policies, etc., to deploy. Any suggestions?

Thanks, much appreciated!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
BruceHulston Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Cannot get Agents to Register

Hi Paul

Using a seperate SQL DB will make no difference, not sure about the changing of the username from ____z__ etc as this is a ZCM generated account.

The messages you are getting
relate to the clients ability (or lack of ) to see the server, try checking that the DNS of the servers is correct in both forward and reverse lookup,

Hope this helps
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes we already tried the forward and reverse lookup and they're fine.

And basically all we did about the username on the services was set them up to login the exact same way as our old server. They just weren't setup that way by default right after the installation. That's why we're wondering if it has to do with the install somehow? Could it have "gone bad" in some way, but if so, we're not sure where to fix it....

Thanks again,
Paul

BruceHulston;1547213 wrote:
Hi Paul

Using a seperate SQL DB will make no difference, not sure about the changing of the username from ____z__ etc as this is a ZCM generated account.

The messages you are getting
relate to the clients ability (or lack of ) to see the server, try checking that the DNS of the servers is correct in both forward and reverse lookup.
0 Likes
BruceHulston Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Paul

Sorry if this appears obvious,

is there any firewall between the WS and svr ? are the clients NAT'd ?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

No problem, we'll take any suggestions 🙂

We've got it pretty basic at this time, really. No NATs. We've decided to uninstall and carefully reinstall and we'll see what that brings. I'll be sure to double-check the standard Windows Firewall after we're done if we still have issues. I'll post again with our results, but if anyone has more suggestions please keep them coming!

Thanks!
Paul Benjamin

BruceHulston;1547362 wrote:
Hi Paul

Sorry if this appears obvious,

is there any firewall between the WS and svr ? are the clients NAT'd ?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Let's try this to start...........

#1) Use ZISWIN to make sure the ZISD is empty. If not clear it. If there
was data there, what was it?
#2) Delete the ProgramFiles\Novell\ZENworks\Cache Directory
#3) Use "ZAC REG" to try and register the workstation.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

"PaulBenjamin" <PaulBenjamin@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:PaulBenjamin.38lemq@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Howdy!
>
> We just installed on a brand-new server (it's actually our 2nd server,
> but the first one was just for learning and messing around) and are
> running 10.0.1.0. Everything appears to be fine on the server end, but
> none of the agents on the clients will register with the server. The
> thing is, we don't think it's the clients.
>
> W2k3 server, XP clients. The clients can get to the server just fine
> (PING, nslookup, login to ZCM via IE etc etc), log file even shows
> "Found host: <IP>".
>
> However, all over the logs we have at the end of many lines, "Status:
> Bad"
>
> The only major difference we know of with this server compared to our
> first one is that now we're using an external SQL db instead of the
> local datastore. But that shouldn't affect registration, right?! One
> other thing was that many (if not all) of the ZENworks services on the
> server were logging with that odd username (__z_9__ something like
> that), so we switched them all to use the Local System like our first
> server was doing. But that didn't appear to make any difference
> whatsoever. Even when downloading the full agent install from the
> server after making these changes and installing it on a fresh client.
>
> Also, for what it's worth, the agent on the server logs in just fine.
>
> The client agents all show (in their Properties):
>
> ZENworks Adaptive Agent Properties:
> Device Name: Unavailable
> Last Contact with Server: <correct date and time>
>
> ZENworks Server Properties:
> Management Zone: Unavailable
> Server DNS: Unavailable
> Server Address: Unavailable
>
> And here are some of the log errors that we know are wrong (just let me
> know if I should include more log information):
>
> [Connectman] Found host: <server>, status: Bad
> [Connectman] Found host: <server IP>, status: Bad
> [RegistrationManager] [] [Unable to read the osTargets.xml file from
> any server.
>
> Suffice to say we cannot get any bundles, policies, etc., to deploy.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, much appreciated!
>
>
> --
> PaulBenjamin
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> PaulBenjamin's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3252
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=325870
>

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank you both for the suggestions. We finally figured it out:

McAfee was blocking a port, which was not allowing the ZENworks loader service to actually start, even though it showed as started in the Services list.

We had McAfee on the old server too, so we're not sure why this happened, but more scouring of the log files finally turned this up.

And yes, we would really, really like to get rid of McAfee - unfortunately, politics and red tape at my organization are making that difficult.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Well crud. We're still having issues, sorry for prematurely calling it good. Now the agents are showing "Status: Good" - but it appears that the certificate just won't register. No matter what we try, we cannot get the client agents to login.

But that's only most of the time. Sometimes (once in a very great while) an agent *will* login fine! There does not appear to be any consistency to the login problem, either. Sometimes we get the agent login window popping up right after the main Novell Client login, and sometimes not, even though the agent still isn't actually logged in. Sometimes the server sees a newly installed client, sometimes not.

I ran ZISWIN and the ZISD wasn't empty, but sorry I didn't save the data before I cleared it. However, we are NOT attempting to actually use preboot at all. I then deleted the Cache dir. However, upon running Zac reg I get:

"Unable to register with the server at: <server>. RegistrationManager - unknown exception during registration ping: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined."

We have placed an incident with Novell and I'm off to do more research, but of course I would still appreciate any other suggestions if anyone has them. I think this is just crazy however, because our first server never did anything like this. And yes we have completely reinstalled. EXTREMELY frustrating!

Paul Benjamin

Craig Wilson;1547461 wrote:
Let's try this to start...........

#1) Use ZISWIN to make sure the ZISD is empty. If not clear it. If there
was data there, what was it?
#2) Delete the ProgramFiles\Novell\ZENworks\Cache Directory
#3) Use "ZAC REG" to try and register the workstation.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.

"PaulBenjamin" <PaulBenjamin@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:PaulBenjamin.38lemq@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Update:

It appears that the defult agent installs are corrupted somehow. Once we performed an Edit Deployment Package and entered a custom registry key for organizing our workstations into a folder in ZCM, that particular install works fine.

Not sure why the default packages wouldn't be working but our custom one does, as the custom ones are merely copies of the defaults with just some minor changes, right? But hey, it's working, so I think we're set.

For now.

Paul Benjamin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.