Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Changes made to bundles not refreshing

I'm configuring a new deployment of ZCM 10.2 and as am testing bundles and making changes I've noticed that the changes I'm making are not making it down to the workstations after a refresh or even after rebooting the whole computer.

For example...

I create an MSI bundle and associate it to the workstations. When I refresh the agent, the bundle appears - no problem. If I then change something in the control center (add an icon, rename the bundle, add/remove a requirment) thos changes don't get to the workstations no matter what I do. Deleting the bundle completely and then recreating it with the changes does work, but obviously I shouldn't have to do that.

I'm wondering of A) There might be something wrong with my server or B) perhaps there's a different kind of refresh that's more thorough? I tried running the "zac refresh bypassecache" command but that didn't work either (which cache is it bypassing by the way and when is this command usefull?).

Please help! Thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Changes made to bundles not refreshing

Weinberd,

you don't mention increasing the version number, without that, the
changes will never make it to existing devices...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have a related query. If I have a Simple Windows application, which just copies a file from a network location to a local location, and the option is set to "copy always".

The user installed the app first time OK. Then, the application owner put a new version of the file on the server.

Will the file be copied to the workstation? Or, does the ZCM admin have to bump the version number in this case as well? I have a suspicion it may be the latter.

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gmarsh,

it's the latter, unless... you check "distribute always" - see http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks7/dm7admin/data/a7zexwk.html

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ah yes, I remember now. Also I am using ZCM 10.2.0 so I think the equivalent option is in the item options and is called "install always". And need to be clear in my own mind that, "copy always" on an individual file just means over-write what's there (if anything) but that action only gets done on the first launch *unless* "install always" is enabled.

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gmarsh,

oops, sorry, I was doing some ZDM7 work and I forgot to translate 🙂

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

spond;1899713 wrote:
Weinberd,

you don't mention increasing the version number, without that, the
changes will never make it to existing devices...

--

Shaun Pond

Thanks for your reply. The version number does indeed seem to be the source of the problem and coming from a ZFD7 environment seems to be the other cause!

The behavior of the version numbering seems to be quite different in ZCM10. In ZFD7 if you modified an application in some way, those changes would push down to new workstations and/or workstations that didn't yet actually launch and install the application. You only needed to increment the version number if you needed the application to reinstall on workstations that had already installed it.

Does increasing the version number in ZCM10 automatically trigger a re-install if you've selected the "install once per device option"? This behavio(u)r might cause some problems for me. I sometimes "tweak" an application but only want the changes to affect newly ghosted machines. If an application re-launches because of a minor tweak I have to send an email to all the affected users warning them of what's going to happen on their machines.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Weinberd,

ZCM is clever enough to know that if you haven't changed the
distribution actions, that it doesn't need to do them again

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.