Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Collection Queues and Upgrade

Jump to solution

Good morning 

My customer has a question regarding the upgrade to ZCM 2017/2020 from 11.4.3, please see the following:

Customer has a question regarding their upgrade plans. Please see the following:

After doing some looking around it appears that the collection queues are getting overwhelmed again. This seems to have started when we removed the old primaries. As you may recall we were running for a while with the old primaries servicing collection traffic while the new primaries serviced all other ZCM traffic. Once we get to ZCM2020 we can increase the threads for processing collection but for now we cannot. The question is, will having these collection queues waiting to process affect our ZCM2017/2020 upgrade process. I don't believe it will but want to be sure. There are two options as I see it.

Option 1: (Current plan) Upgrade the primary servers and satellites to ZCM2017 one weekend and then to ZCM2020 the following weekend. After the upgrade, increase the threads to see if that allows us to process through the collection data on 4 primaries. If there is still an issue we could build 2-3 new virtual primaries just for collection traffic.

Option 2: Install 2-3 new ZCM11 primaries and configure them to handle all collection traffic. Then upgrade the primaries and satellites to ZCM2017 one weekend and ZCM2020 the next. This would push back the upgrade a bit and would add two additional primary servers that needs to get upgraded.

I wouldn't think that the Collection queues would hold up the Upgrade process, but can someone confirm this, so that I can pass this along to the customer? We also have been struggling with getting the customer to upgrade, and we'd not wish to see anything delay that upgrade plan (Option 1)

Thank you,
Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

And there is no reason to upgrade the satellites until after all the Primaries are up to 2020.  Once the Primaries and Satellites are running 2020, then you can upgrade your agents.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, the collection queues would not cause an issue.

Upgrading to 2017.0 and leaving the servers there for a week is a VERY Troubling plan.

There are many known issues in 17.0, specifically content related, which makes any such plan nothing I would suggest.  They should be upgraded to 17.0 and either 17.4 or 20.0 in the same outage if at all possible.

--
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

And there is no reason to upgrade the satellites until after all the Primaries are up to 2020.  Once the Primaries and Satellites are running 2020, then you can upgrade your agents.

--

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good day, 

My apologies for not being more specific, they were planning on going to 17.4 as part of the upgrade process, so basically as I understand it, 

Upgrade 1 primary to 2017, then upgrade the remaining Primary servers to 2017 (3 other Primary servers), and then apply 17.4 to the 1st Primary server, and then upgrading the remainder to 17.4 along with the latest application of the PRU. At that point they would then proceed with the Sat servers, along with Agents, and then depending on status they would then proceed to 2020 (latest release)

Thank you, for the information that will help as well. 

Daniel 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good day, 

To clarify your saying that an 11.4.3 Sat server can communicate and work with either a ZCM 2017 update 4 or 2020 Primary server?

Thank you, 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.