Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Content Repository on Remote Server or SAN

The ZCM documentation says that the content repository can reside on a Remote Server or SAN. It is not clear whether that feature is for Linux or Windows or both. The documentation explains how to move the content folder in Windows, but it assumes local storage. We do not have enough local storage, but lots of storage on another server. We DO NOT want to load ZenWorks on the other server with all of the storage since it is used for Citrix.

The content-repo folder will be very large since it stores all images and bundles (apps). Ideally, we would like to store only the images on another server at the same location. We have looked into Windows Junction and DFS, but neither seem to work (maybe we are not configuring it correctly?).

Can ZCM 10 running on a Windows server store images on a SAN or another server at the same location?

Thank you,

Jack
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Content Repository on Remote Server or SAN

etcnet;1466932 wrote:
The ZCM documentation says that the content repository can reside on a Remote Server or SAN. It is not clear whether that feature is for Linux or Windows or both. The documentation explains how to move the content folder in Windows, but it assumes local storage. We do not have enough local storage, but lots of storage on another server. We DO NOT want to load ZenWorks on the other server with all of the storage since it is used for Citrix.

The content-repo folder will be very large since it stores all images and bundles (apps). Ideally, we would like to store only the images on another server at the same location. We have looked into Windows Junction and DFS, but neither seem to work (maybe we are not configuring it correctly?).

Can ZCM 10 running on a Windows server store images on a SAN or another server at the same location?

Thank you,

Jack

According to the documentation (zcm10_system_admin.pdf) you can move the entire content repository to a SAN on both Windows and Linux backend. I've used both scenarios and it works perfectly. On Linux backend you can also separate the repository and split your images on another disk than your application bundles. However, this does not seem to be possible on Windows backend.

Ivar

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ifu;1467226 wrote:
According to the documentation (zcm10_system_admin.pdf) you can move the entire content repository to a SAN on both Windows and Linux backend. I've used both scenarios and it works perfectly. On Linux backend you can also separate the repository and split your images on another disk than your application bundles. However, this does not seem to be possible on Windows backend.

Ivar

Thank you for giving me hope, Ivar. The SAN is planned for next year and there is not enough local storage. We have another server containing 1/2 TB of free space, so there had to be a way to make this work. If anyone finds themselves in this situation, I will save you the hours it took me to research and test it. We looked into Junctions and DFS. Neither did the job. The best solution for us was iSCSI.

You can download the Microsoft iscsi initiator for free. That gets installed on the ZenWorks server

You can pay Micro$oft $3,000. for the iscsi target or download a free version of StarWind.The iscsi target gets installed on the server with lots of disk space.

The iscsi software is fairly easy to configure and performance is fast. It did exactly what we needed ... and it was free!

Jack
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:36:03 GMT, etcnet wrote:

> The iscsi software is fairly easy to configure and performance is fast.
> It did exactly what we needed ... and it was free!

thanks for letting us know..
--

Marcus Breiden

If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail
address.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.didas.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

etcnet,

>The iscsi software is fairly easy to configure and performance is fast.
>It did exactly what we needed ... and it was free!

That sounds like a nice Cool Solution article. <G>

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop
My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So, can I just move the content-repo directory onto the ISCSI connected device? How will Zenworks know to be directed there instead?

Thanks.
Kim
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

KD,

>So, can I just move the content-repo directory onto the ISCSI connected
>device? How will Zenworks know to be directed there instead?

You CANNOT move the content-repo location to an iSCSI location, but the
iSCSI partition must mount into the zenworks content repository location.
You cannot change the path in ZCM, thus you must mount the partition into
the correct location as the docs point out.

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:07:14 GMT, KD wrote:

> How will Zenworks know to be directed there instead?

it doesn't know... for zenworks it will look like it is still at the old
place..
--

Marcus Breiden

If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail
address.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.didas.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

etcnet,

>Can ZCM 10 running on a Windows server store images on a SAN or another
>server at the same location?

I believe currently, for a server to access a content repository, it must
have all of ZCM installed. A distribution point is the only exception to
the above statement. In the next release, the ability to break out
functionality should exist.

ZCM can connect to a SAN and this is the preferred method. In Windows, the
SAN must be mounted into the repo location on the server. So when
formating the space, do not give it a drive letter, but instead give a
mount point.

On Linux, mounting a SAN to a location, or just about any partition into
the ZCM repo location is easier than windows.

Here is a link to the docs.
http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_system_admin/data/bafh8cr.html

With the current ZCM architecture, you can control content between ZCM
servers. I have not tested this, but you should be able to put images on
one server and bundle content on another server.

--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.