nemesis1207 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Could not add bundle {GUID} to session

I'm hitting issues with the scalability of ZENworks 10. First of all, let me say that in our organization, we probably have one of the largest ZENworks application deployment scenarios in the world. In our current ZENworks 7 setup, most users have over 300 user associated application objects. In addition, most workstations would have between 50-100 workstation associated objects, with many more objects "indirectly" associated through application dependency rules (primitive bundle groups).

We've had a test install of ZENworks 10 running for some time now, and I've been planning the migration process, and assessing when and how we'll make the switch from ZENworks 7 to ZENworks 10. There are some things about ZENworks 10 that scale much better than previous versions. Refresh times in particular appear to be much, much quicker. I had to do some serious voodoo in ZENworks 7 due to the sheer number of application objects we had, to prevent icons taking several minutes to appear on machines which use dynamic local user accounts (pre-building NALCache files/registry through scripts before launching the NAL, loading from cache, and forcing a refresh immediately after. Nasty stuff). I'm running into a big problem in ZENworks 10 however, which I haven't been able to work around so far.

Simply put, when I associate more than 150 or so bundles to a user in ZENworks 10, it has a bit of a meltdown. Things work fine with smaller numbers, but once I associate more than some arbitrary number I haven't exactly narrowed down yet, none of the newly associated icons appear on the client machine. Instead, what I get is a stream of errors being logged for the device each time a refresh occurs on the client, all of the form "Could not add bundle {GUID} to session", where each message contains the GUID of a different bundle.

I've tried a number of things to work around this problem, such as indirectly associating bundles in small clumps to a number of bundle groups, and then associating these bundle groups to the user groups. Nothing I've tried so far has worked. I can't find a way to get more than 150 or so user-associated bundles working correctly in ZENworks 10, which is less than half the number of user-associated bundles we currently have. This is a critical problem for us, and it's preventing us from migrating. The ZENworks 10 version we're running is 10.1.0.0 (server and clients).

I haven't been able to find any real information about this error. Any ZENworks engineers/guru's have any thoughts? Also, has anyone else attempted a distribution this large in ZENworks 10 before?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
R6ke Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Could not add bundle {GUID} to session

I had a problem when I had around 180 bundles assigned to a user.
I did not get the any error message buth the nal wasn't refreshing anymore. For exmaple, icons did not get updated anymore in the nal after the version was increased in zcc.

Not sure if it was a problem with zcm or a limitation of AD.

since it was only a test and the user did not needed al these bundles, I removed a bunch of bundles and the problem was solved.
0 Likes
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Everybody,

I see that problem a lot of times. The problem is not numbers of bundle associate to users. The problem is when you have a incorrect bundle associate to a user or wks all the bundle can not appear anymore. You have to find which one is in problem and recreate or remove that bundle.

I got a lot of this problem specificly with bundle migrate with the migration wizard that include only shortcut in the bundle. The version previous to 10 sp1 migrate a shortcut in a MSI bundle and the last version migrate shortcut to vbscript .

Hope this help

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I had a problem when I had around 180 bundles assigned to a user.
I did not get the any error message buth the nal wasn't refreshing anymore. For exmaple, icons did not get updated anymore in the nal after the version was increased in zcc.

I'm getting the same kind of symptoms. Once I exceed this apparent limit of user associated apps, not only do I not see most of the icons for the newly associated bundles, any changes I now make to any of the bundles which are actually visible on the client don't take effect, even after a full refresh, restart, or any other process I've tried. The only way I found to make the device receive any changes was to reduce the number of user-associated bundles. Once the number of user associated bundles dropped below some magic number, things started working correctly again.

No error messages appear on the client when these problems occur. The only way you can see anything is wrong on the client machine is by noticing that icons are missing, and seeing the updates to bundles aren't taking effect. When you check the message log for the device on the web console however, that's when you see all the "could not add bundle" messages being recorded for the device.

All of the bundles I was testing with were migrated when the ZENworks 10 server was at some pre-SP1 version, so I deleted them and migrated them over again with the latest version of the migration tool. I'm still getting the same problem.

This problem doesn't appear to be caused by a corrupted bundle or any issue related to a specific bundle. All of the bundles work correctly without errors when associated in smaller groups, but when I try and associate any large group of them at once, that's when I get this problem. I'm going to try and narrow down the exact number of bundles which need to be associated to a user before this error appears.
0 Likes
R6ke Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I narrowed it down to 180 bundles.
buth this may vary upon differant parameters.
Too bad this is nowhere documented like many other features are not (good) documented, maybe someone from novell will pick up this thread and give us more information about this issue.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hmm. I'm now getting different symptoms. Most of my testing was done pre-SP1, and I hadn't done comprehensive tests again until now. After upgrading to SP1, and again after re-migrating all the bundles, I'd simply tried associating a small batch of bundles (around 50) to confirm user associated apps were being displayed, then associating most of the remaining bundles (around 250), and confirming it still broke.

What I'm seeing now when I've tried to confirm the number of apps that caused the system to break, is that there are some "bad" bundles which are causing user associated apps to break when they are associated, regardless of how many other bundles are associated with the user. I don't know if this new behaviour is as a result of the upgrade, or the new migration of all the objects, but I know I tested all the bundles in small groups earlier on, and I didn't get any errors when I had a small number of bundles associated, and I systematically tested every bundle in small groups. Perhaps I made a mistake in that testing, or maybe one of the updates has changed something. I can't really be sure now, as I had to delete the earlier bundles in order to re-migrate them.

It appears bundles which have certain characters in their Display Name (NOT their object name, their display name), and were migrated using the ZENworks Migration Utility (I used v10.1.0.0 in this case), cause this error to occur, regardless of the number of other bundles which are associated to the user. Two characters I've come across which appear to cause this problem are an apostrophe and a plus sign (' and +). By skipping all applications which include either an apostrophe or a plus sign in their display name, I've been able to successfully associate 314 bundles to a user and have them all appear on the target device, without the "Could not add bundle" errors occurring.

You can "repair" these damaged bundles simply by incrementing the version number of the bundle. After a version number increment, the bundle appears to fix itself, and works correctly on all clients after a refresh.

So, perhaps there was a bug in ZENworks with a large number of user-associated bundles. If there was, this has now been resolved, but there's definitely a bug in v10.1.0.0 of the ZENworks Migration Utility when the display name field ("Application icon title" field in ZENworks 7) of a source object contains either an apostrophe or a plus sign. It's likely there are other symbols which will cause similar problems.
0 Likes
Highlighted
mplep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

nemesis1207;1646278 wrote:
Two characters I've come across which appear to cause this problem are an apostrophe and a plus sign (' and +). By skipping all applications which include either an apostrophe or a plus sign in their display name, I've been able to successfully associate 314 bundles to a user and have them all appear on the target device, without the "Could not add bundle" errors occurring.

I'm glad I found this post. I've migrated about 140 apps from ZDM7 to a fresh install of ZCM10.1 today. None of the user associated bundles would come down at all! I found one app which had an apostrophe in the display name, removed that and it all came to life. Thanks for that tip Nemesis1207.
0 Likes
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Does someone know if a bug as been registered with Novell for correction in the next version ?

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
mbreiden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:56:05 GMT, mdallair wrote:

> Does someone know if a bug as been registered with Novell for
> correction in the next version ?

which bug...

I know that there will be fixes for the migration wizard but I doubt that
the apostrophe one is there.. will check..

otherwise.. no idea..

--

Marcus Breiden

If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail
address.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.didas.de

Marcus Breiden If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail address. The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion. http://www.didas.de
0 Likes
mbreiden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:09:49 GMT, Marcus Breiden wrote:

> I know that there will be fixes for the migration wizard but I doubt that
> the apostrophe one is there.. will check..

does that happen still with 10.1.1?
--

Marcus Breiden

If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail
address.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.didas.de

Marcus Breiden If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail address. The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion. http://www.didas.de
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.