jkillebrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Custom Caption is inconsistent

I'm having a great deal of trouble with the NalWin custom caption option /C.

I use this option in this manner:

${ProgramFiles32}\Novell\ZENworks\bin\nalwin.exe /NORM /R /S /D /C="Apps for ${FullName} on %COMPUTERNAME%"

This actually applies randomly, but once it succeeds once, there is a registry entry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netware\Nal\1.0\CustomCaption from that point on so that it no longer matters if it works. Even without the /C option, the custom caption is applied based on the registry value. Therefore I've found these issues...

Problem #1: by removing the /C option, you cannot prevent a custom caption and must manually remove the registry entry. If /C isnt specified, it seems the "cached" copy of this value should not be applied to the window, but its only a secondary issue because...

Problem 2: If I change the /C value, it doesnt not update consistently. In fact it seems to apply to other users as well for some reason, maybe from a cached copy of the bundle?? So students see my name on their application window instead of their own.

Problem 3: I could work around the issue by manually setting the mentioned registry entry using the variables ${FullName} and %computername% but those dont work in registry tasks. I know this was supposedly fixed in 10.3.2 so I'm guessing a fix for 11 is coming soon too?

So for now I cannot set a custom caption, and am forcing it to just say "Apps" via the registry value for now.

It seems at least 2 and 3 are bugs. Any suggestions on a workaround?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Custom Caption is inconsistent

I've tinkered some more and here is as clear an explanation as I can make.

If a custom caption registry entriy exists at all, the /C option appears to simply be ignored, not updating with a new value if one is specified with /C and not reverting to the default if /C is not specified at all.

I could see how maybe you'd want the ability to use a registry value rather than the /C flag, but to be stuck unable to update that value by the same method I used to originally set it, thats just broken.
0 Likes
Highlighted
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jkillebrew,

I just tried this in ZCM 11, and if I specify the /c I get the new
value, every time. My guess about the registry key is that it means
that once you have set the value for a user, it will stick, even if
they launch the window themselves from the start menu.

So back to basics I think, if you can confirm that it works if you do
it manually. We'd need to see why your bundle was not applying
correctly

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.

I've been experimenting with this some more. The CustomCaption registry value is normally deleted when nalwin is closed gracefully, just as it probably was when you were testing it. If you improperly close the window, the caption value is not deleted and then it overrides the /c specified value when nalwin is next run. That should be fine because you shouldnt be closing the window improperly, however there is still a bug present.

When you run nalwin with /S as we do, to disable the close button, properly logging off does not appear to gracefully close nalwin because the registry value gets stuck as if nalwin was closed improperly. Maybe Specifying /R should fix this as well? And shouldnt /C still just override the registry value anyway since its not intended to exist after nalwin is gracefully closed?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I would ask Novell about that.
I would presume it should over-write.
Especially since it's normally clearing it anyway.

On 6/15/2011 5:06 PM, jkillebrew wrote:
>
> I've been experimenting with this some more. The CustomCaption registry
> value is normally deleted when nalwin is closed gracefully, just as it
> probably was when you were testing it. If you improperly close the
> window, the caption value is not deleted and then it overrides the /c
> specified value when nalwin is next run. That should be fine because you
> shouldnt be closing the window improperly, however there is still a bug
> present.
>
> When you run nalwin with /S as we do, to disable the close button,
> properly logging off does not appear to gracefully close nalwin because
> the registry value gets stuck as if nalwin was closed improperly. Maybe
> Specifying /R should fix this as well? And shouldnt /C still just
> override the registry value anyway since its not intended to exist after
> nalwin is gracefully closed?
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.