Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
donasutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DB Rebuild instructions

Greetings

SLES10.2
ZCM10.3.4

I'm in the process of upgrading and I want to keep my DB as clean as possible going into the upgrade.

I've been trying to rebuild the DB. Following Novell Documentation

I once had to call Novell and open an SR for them to do this for me because the instructions have not been correct, to say the least.

I've gotten to the step where you do dbeng10 .....zen.db -n rebuild
it's hung at a "press Q... " prompt.

I know there's something you have to do while this is going on but i'm not sure what.. can someone please assist me with this issue? I don't have the ability to call Novell again.

Thank you!

Don
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
raynor17 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DB Rebuild instructions

I'm not a DB expert by any means, but I have been through this process a few times. You're 75% of the way there... What you have now, if I understand your situation correctly, is the ZCM DB open and what you do is keep that session OPEN until you run the unload command which is something like:

mkdir /tmp/dbreload/unload (create a temporary directory for the rebuilt DB to go into)
/opt/novell/zenworks/share/sybase/bin32s/dbunload -c "UID=zenadmin;PWD=<PASSWORD>;ENG=rebuild" -an /tmp/dbreload/unload/zenworks_<ZONE NAME>.db (where <ZONE NAME> is the name of your ZCM zone, typically)

Open a new Putty (SSH) or Terminal session to run those two commands above while you keep that other one open.

You now have a "clean" copy of the DB in that tmp directory. Once that command is done, then you can press Q at that prompt and finish up the process:

Stop the dbeng10 screen by using 'Q' (without quotes)
cp /tmp/dbreload/unload/zenworks_<ZONE NAME>.db /opt/novell/zenworks/database/ (assuming you have a backup of the previous ZCM DB)
cp /tmp/dbreload/unload/zenworks_<ZONE NAME>.log /opt/novell/zenworks/database/ (assuming you have a backup of the previous ZCM DB log)

where /opt/novell/zenworks/database is the typical location on a SLES box with an EXTERNAL Sybase DB. If you're using the EMBEDDED Sybase DB, it usually goes into /var/opt/novell/zenworks/database.

/etc/init.d/sybase-asa start (start up the DB service)

I hope that helps! Nothing more terrifying the messing with a ZCM DB. 🙂

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.