New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Deploy Windows 10 with MDT

We have an MDT server (not ZMC server), and we built a task sequence that will deploy a Windows 10 workstations.
The MDT server is on our main office.
We have ZCM 2017 (satellite servers) on all our offices. I need to deploy windows 10 on all our offices.
I saw a pre-boot bundle that called “MDT Deployment” and I have few questions
1. Can I import my task sequence from my MDT server to ZCM servers?
2. Can I deploy a specific task sequence?
3. Can someone add screenshot of the option after “Step 4: Select a MDT Deployment image”?
4. It supports “Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2013 Update 1”. Today there are new version and with every new Windows 10 version there will be a new MDT version.

Thanks
Eyal
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Ensign
Ensign

Hi eyals,

we're using ZENworks 2017 and MDT to deploy Windows 10 1607 as well so I think I can answer your questions.

1. Can I import my task sequence from my MDT server to ZCM servers?
2. Can I deploy a specific task sequence?

I think you misunderstand how MDT actually works and therefor how it integrates with ZENworks. MDT itself, on a high level, only let's you create a WinPE WIM image that has the necessary logic in it to connect to your MDT deployment share (\\mdt_server\DeploymentShare$) and retrieve and execute the task sequences that you've created using the MDT Workbench. So you can't and don't need to import any task sequences, they're right there on your MDT server (under "DeploymentShare$\Control").

So what you'd actually do first is upload the bare WinPE.wim that comes with the ADK (found under "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\<arch>\en-us") to the ZCC under Configuration > Device Management > Preboot Services > Third-party Imaging Settings. This image is a pure Windows 10 preboot environment and has no MDT logic in it at all. ZENworks will inject some files upon uploading to provide some basic ZCM Imaging tasks when using this image. In fact you start this "ZCM-customized" WinPE by selecting "WinPE Maintenance" from the ZENworks Imaging PXE menu.

Now to be able to actually launch your "MDT-customized" WinPE (the one you've creating using the Workbench that has all the logic in it) you'd need to create an Preboot Bundle in ZCC. Select MDT Deployment as the category and then you can upload your MDT WinPE (e.g. LiteTouchPE_x64.wim under "DeploymentShare$\Boot"). This image will then be served by the ZENworks PXE/TFTP service, all other OSD logic will happen according to your DeploymentShare settings (bootstrap.ini, customsettings.ini, available task sequences etc.). To actually deploy that WinPE image to devices you'd either assign that preboot bundle to devices/groups or you can create an additional entry in the PXE menu to directly select the MDT deployment (you'll need a patch from Micro Focus to do that).

One last advice: if your device, from which you try to upload those WinPE wim files, has UAC enabled you will most likely get errors trying or be unable to do so. I think that's because the ZCC helper tries to mount the wim file, put in its needed files and unmount it for uploading. That may be why you need the ADK installed on the device from which you try to do the upload. So in my case I use the MDT server (Win 2012 R2) which has UAC enabled to upload wim files (it has ADK installed and all the wim files anyway) and I absolutely need to run Internet Explorer as the builtin Administrator (.\Administrator). Only this way I was able to upload the wim files.

4. It supports “Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2013 Update 1”. Today there are new version and with every new Windows 10 version there will be a new MDT version.

It also works with the most recent version wich is MDT 8443 (they stopped naming it by year and update number according to the new naming scheme of Windows 10 and Config Mgr).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54259
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi dbriese
Thanks for the explanation.
Few things…
I have sites, is my satellite servers will poll the DeploymentShare$ ?
so, the deployment will take place from the satellite server?
On the bootstrap.ini I see my mdt server. Can I manipulate this file that it use my satellite ?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can DeploymentShare be defined on OES volume or is a Windows share a must ? I see that Deployment Workbench does not allow you to define it outside local volumes.

Thanks
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.