Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
782 views

Deploying Large Bundles

Hello,

Does Novell have an official best practice for deploying large MSI bundles? In other words, is it best to upload the MSI to the repository (Install MSI action) or install the MSI off the network (Install Network MSI action). What have you found in your own experiences?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Deploying Large Bundles

Chewmanfoo,
> Does Novell have an official best practice for deploying large MSI
> bundles? In other words, is it best to upload the MSI to the repository
> (Install MSI action) or install the MSI off the network (Install Network
> MSI action). What have you found in your own experiences?


It should not matter really, but if you want more control, then split up
the install and first put the MSI in a local temp dir, then install it.

Also, many MSIs record the location of the installation file and require
it to be present for uninstall, which makes for some interesting scenarios
if that path is no longer there...

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Deploying Large Bundles

It's a preference.

For Example - If you use the Content-Repo, then things such as Install
Source Fault-Tolerance, Install Source Replication, Install Source
Security, etc.. etc... all all automatic.

If you use a Network MSI, then that is something you need to deal with.
Using a Network MSI may be quicker, but also requires rights checks.

It's a matter of what works for you.

On 11/20/2012 10:54 AM, Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> Chewmanfoo,
>> Does Novell have an official best practice for deploying large MSI
>> bundles? In other words, is it best to upload the MSI to the repository
>> (Install MSI action) or install the MSI off the network (Install Network
>> MSI action). What have you found in your own experiences?

>
> It should not matter really, but if you want more control, then split up
> the install and first put the MSI in a local temp dir, then install it.
>
> Also, many MSIs record the location of the installation file and require
> it to be present for uninstall, which makes for some interesting scenarios
> if that path is no longer there...
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deploying Large Bundles

Thank you both for your timely replies and input!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deploying Large Bundles

Craig,

Can i ask you to elaborate on Install Source Fault-Tolerance, Install Source Replication & Security?

Reason i ask - is recently we have been deploying Office 2010, and I think the Network Install will be the way forward for us.

We have experienced issues with the Dynamic Admin, and also replication of the files. Despite the Satellites showing the bundle as Available, and Files matching the quantities uploaded etc

I was wondering if there is a way to confirm bundle integrity?

Thanks,




craig_wilson;2231573 wrote:
It's a preference.

For Example - If you use the Content-Repo, then things such as Install
Source Fault-Tolerance, Install Source Replication, Install Source
Security, etc.. etc... all all automatic.

If you use a Network MSI, then that is something you need to deal with.
Using a Network MSI may be quicker, but also requires rights checks.

It's a matter of what works for you.

On 11/20/2012 10:54 AM, Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> Chewmanfoo,
>> Does Novell have an official best practice for deploying large MSI
>> bundles? In other words, is it best to upload the MSI to the repository
>> (Install MSI action) or install the MSI off the network (Install Network
>> MSI action). What have you found in your own experiences?


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.