Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
bryanlakatos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Deploying Windows 10 1803 BCD error

Anyone have any success deploying 1803 yet? We've successfully been deploying 1709 but run into a problem where the 1803 image boots to just the Windows logo and spinning dots (i.e. no text) and hangs there after it's been deployed. The error log gives us the following entries, but Google isn't proving very helpful with them. We're imaging with the latest version of ZENworks and using the Tuxera driver (status "Available"). Any suggestions are welcome. We're at our wit's end here!

2018-05-11 16:17:06, Error TOOL BCD: BiUpdateEfiEntry failed c000000d
2018-05-11 16:17:06, Error TOOL BCD: BiExportBcdObjects failed c000000d
2018-05-11 16:17:06, Error TOOL BCD: BiExportStoreAlterationsToEfi failed c000000d
2018-05-11 16:17:06, Error TOOL BCD: Failed to export alterations to firmware. Status: c000000d
2018-05-11 16:17:09, Error SYSPRP ClipCleanUpState resetting WNF_OLIC_OS_LICENSE_TERMS_ACCEPTED failed with NTSTATUS=c0000022
Labels (1)
0 Likes
33 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Deploying Windows 10 1803 BCD error

Some similar errors were seen here with a Tip towards the bottom...
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/911ca5a3-e298-4ae6-9dae-09e34048c158/problem-with-upgrade-to-creators-update-on-nvme-disk?forum=win10itprosetup

Did you try restoring to the same device from which the Image was made?
Would eliminate potential compatibility issues as the culprit....for example the Intel SSDs not working with 1803!!!!
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

We're developing the image on a VM and if we reboot it after sysprep on itself, it works fine. We only see the boot error if we try to deploy the image to either another VM with identical settings or a physical computer with either a spinning HDD or a (non-Intel) SSD. Windows hangs immediately upon reboot and never throws an error message or anything. My kingdom for the ability to hit ESC and find out what it's actually trying to do... Why can't we all just use Linux? 😉

We originally had our full software installs and unattend file set up, but when that didn't work, we went to a very basic install windows > immediately sysprep with no customizations, so I don't think it's some weird setting or service we're using.

My continued thanks...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Just re-read your message, Craig, and realized that I misunderstood. We just tried an actual restore to the same VM (not just letting it reboot and do the other half of sysprep) and it failed the same way. The plot thickens...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Update for future civilizations: we just tried taking and restoring an image with Clonezilla and everything works as it should! Not sure what's not quite there with 1803 and ZENworks.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Differences are file based vs sector based....

There can be things such as making sure Bit Locker is not enabled.
--
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hmm... Is ZENworks fie or sector based?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

File Based as is Native Windows.

You can also try disabling SIDChanger....
I prefer doing this in my images.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bg4iu9s.html (See RestoreMask.XML references...)

No need for ZCM to be touching SID in most cases....
--
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Interesting... we clear the ZIS data when we image with a "zisedit -r" in our custom menu, before the img command. Thus, when SIDChanger runs it always says there's no work to do and exits. We'll try the Bit Locker vector. We don't have it enabled, but I read in another thread sometime in the last few days of research that someone had to enable it, then disable it to get it to register as disabled. The classic "roll the windows up, then roll the windows back down..." approach.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Again, for future readers: Bit Locker was disabled. We enabled it, rebooted, disabled it, rebooted, and then took an image. Still did not boot fully (stuck at Windows logo and spinning dots). I think maybe ZENworks just isn't ready for 1803, for whatever reason. Our process works fine with 1709. Clonezilla continues to work with 1803.
0 Likes
GuillaumeBDEB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, any news on the subject? I'm in the process of creating my Windows 10 Enterprise x64 UEFI base image. When I deploy my base image to the same computer I used to created the base image in question, all I get is the Windows logo with flashing dots. By the way I did check that Bit Locker is disable. I also followed the tips in the "Windows-10-Best-Practices-using-ZCM-V1.1.2-EN-20170113.pdf" file. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

No luck with ZENworks. Still doing imaging with Clonezilla and an NFS share. Works perfectly.
0 Likes
jfeyen Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Try reuploading the TUXERA driver.

I just got a working sysprepped image Windows 10 UEFI build 1803 with ZENworks 2017 U2 + March imaging update.

Kr,

Joeri
0 Likes
pwolff2000 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bryanlakatos;2481651 wrote:
No luck with ZENworks. Still doing imaging with Clonezilla and an NFS share. Works perfectly.

We have the same spinning dots. We fix the clone by forcing the computer off, starting with a Win10 repair CD/USB stick, choose Troubleshooting, Command Prompt, run chkdsk c: /f, when chkdsk completes type exit at the prompt, eject CD/USB, power down. Power back on and the cloned computer should boot. I know this isn't a long term fix, but I only have a few labs to re-image this year and I am tired of fighting imaging issues every new Windows/Zen version. Call it the redneck fix....;)
0 Likes
xsisbest1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'll be working on my windows 10 1803 image next week and will post my results. So far with 1803 I've created a nice mdt deployment but not a zen image. Everything works fine though using Zen to push down my deployment though if it's any consolation.
I've come to the conclusion I will not be able to multicast my mdt deployment so I will need to configure a Zenworks image to do so. I do have a an unattend I could share just in case there is something in there you may not be seeing. I know in the past I had to remove anything that had to do with Internet Explorer in the unattend file or it would fail. But not hang like your mentioning so I doubt it's that.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.