Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
edlitt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Deploying software from a network location

I am trying to deploy a software package (exe file) from a network location. Normally in these situations, I would create an initial step to copy the content from the network using the current logged on user to somewhere on the C drive (ie c:\temp). Then i would create a step to install from there using dynamic admin.
In this particular situation, the files in question are just too large - well over 10gb - so I would like to try running a script which installs directly from the network share. This obviously causes an issue, I can't run the script as the local dynamic admin account, it won't have access to the network share. The current logged on user will, but obv does not have admin rights.
I thought I could do something with an AD account in the credential vault, but there doesn't seem to be an option to run these bundles using any of these credentials. I am just curious as to how others have got around this problem.
Any ideas?
I am running 11.4.0 currently.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
edlitt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deploying software from a network location

Currently, I have updated the script to map the drive using network credentials initially, then install. I have then wrapped the script into an EXE. I know this isn't ideal from a security perspective, but if the exe (including the domain credentials) is uploaded into the ZCM store, I am thinking this may be secure enough? Only a small number of people here would be able to extract the EXE from ZCM - even then its not straight forward..
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Deploying software from a network location

#1 - If this is an MSI install, then the users likely do not need any elevated rights........ZCM can generally handle that so long as the MSI itself does not call an external EXE installs.

#2 - If you want to use Dynamic Administrator, simply specify a Credential Vault user that is a Domain User who has rights to the install source. A UNC path would be required, since Mapped Drives do not persist across processes by different users.
So the "Dynamic User" would not actually have any drives mapped even though the current logged on user may have many.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.