pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deploying with UAC enabled on Win7 client

carrela,

What doesn't work with ZCM10? That's the version we are running right now...

Yes, you'll need to modify all bundles as you describe.

We regularly deploy massive applications through this method copying from a mapped drive on the user's workstation (CS5.5, etc).

It all depends on your network speed.

We installed CS5.5 Design Premium on an HP 6200 small form factor as a test.

This includes:
Bridge
Device Central
Dreamweaver
ExtendScript Toolkit
Extension Manager
Fireworks
Flash Catalyst
Flash Professional
Illustrator
InDesign
Media Encoder
Photoshop
Pixel Bender Toolkit

Time spent copying files:
3 minutes, 5 seconds

Time spent installing the product:
20 minutes, 22 seconds

Total CS5.5 Install Time:
23 minutes, 27 seconds

Total installer size:
3.36 GB

Note that the average copy time for this machine was 18.59 Megabytes / Second.

This is because our testing lab is on a gigabit connection. If you are in a 100mbit connection, you'll obviously see a longer time on the file copy.

Workstation Specifications:

HP Compaq 6200 Pro SFF PC
CPU Speed: 3.3 GHz
Memory: 3072 MB
Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Bundle Actions:
copy AAMEE deployment files from network drive to local disk
install network MSI action pointed at the deployment created with AAMEE
Install exceptions provided by AAMEE wizard
Delete install files

Jacob
0 Likes
carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for the explanation.

And If I migrate to ZCM 11, I will be able to do the same without copying files locally because Dynamic Admin will work as pitcherj says. That's rights ?

Alain
0 Likes
Highlighted
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

carrela,

I do not know if ZCM 11.1 will actually have the features that craig_wilson described in his previous message.

"ZCM 11 SP1 may have some features to allow you to install as Dynamic
Admin directly from a share."

I have heard rumblings about the possibility of creating an "Administrator" account within the ZENworks Control Center, then using that account instead of Dynamic Administrator or SYSTEM, at which point you would need to map a drive, etc in order to access files on a network share, but I have not heard anything official.

We'll have to wait till 11.1 comes out in a couple of months (*crosses fingers*) and find out.

Jacob
0 Likes
carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jacob,

Ok thank you. But actually I'm on ZCM 10, and it is right to say that without copying files locally it is not possible to have all bundles working with UAC enabled ?

And if I understand right, probably in ZCM 11 we will create an admin user and then in the bundle, map a drive but we still can't "enable dynamic admin" in the action properties and then install the bundle. ?

Alain
0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

carrela,

Yeah, I'm on ZCM 10 as well.

UAC has nothing to do with dynamic administrator working or not, UAC will just cause you to have prompts on unsigned executables and executables out on network drives (but only when running them as the currently logged in user, not when running as a dynamic administrator or SYSTEM account).

We can speculate about what will be in ZCM (11.1, which will be out in a couple months), but we'll only know for sure once it's officially released and we either look at the docs or experience it first hand. It's hard to say whether there will actually be a working solution in that version or not because Novell has pushed off this fix for a number of versions. The full solution requires a re-write of service(s) running on the client so that they run in userspace rather than as the SYSTEM user (from what I hear).

For now, I'd say your best solution is to copy local and run from there. Our users have become accustomed to long(er) install times when installing through ZENworks since the files have to copy down first.

Jacob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.