Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Devices Effective vs Not Effective

Question to all those who may know what the "Devices Effective" and "Not Effective" numbers under Assignment Status really mean.

We've been dealing with issues with mapping drives to a user's local SuSe Linux server (but not to remote servers, how strange and it seems to have begun after deploying Windows XP SP3) and I decided to make a bundle with a requirement that it can see a file on the failing network drive. So the entire bundle is nothing but this:

Requirements: Z:\foo.txt exists.
Relationships: All users.

I was hoping this would give me a list of properly mapping users under "Devices Effective" and a list of users who are not mapping drives under "Not Effective". Well when I looked at the result I was shocked because it told me half the entire user base were not mapping drives properly. Quickly I performed a survey of 10 users at random and found all of them actually had the drive mapping I looked for. I confirmed they had not logged into Novell Client after the fact and actually found that 2 of the 10 indeed had and it was related to a known issue which I resolved for them.

I guess the question I need to ask is: If Zen processes after login wouldn't the Z: drive be mapped or not mapped already? Would Zen sometimes not see the drive immediately? Or is there another case I'm not aware of?

The drive in question is the very first one mapped. I'm just not sure if I'm using bad logic on this bundle or not.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Devices Effective vs Not Effective

jcsmith,
You are right. The ZEN agent processes its bundle list and their requirements only after logon, and the drives would have reconnected by then. So your logic seems fine.
Are you able to see the bundle on the device in the designated shortcut locations? At worst you will still see them under Bundles in the ZENworks Adaptive Agent properties window. You can click on your bundle entry, open up the System Requirements tab and check if your set requirement has passed. If it has passed, then it might be problem in updating the status back to the ZCM server. If it has failed, and you are very sure that this happened only after you upgraded to WinXP SP3, then it could have to do with the SP3, which drops idle connections after a timeout period, to save on resources.
More details @: Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost
If the connection has been lost when the ZEN agent evaluates the requirements, then the requirements might fail. I am not sure though if this is what is causing you the problem.

- Ananth
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.