Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Document: Application Bundling Procedure

Hello; it's me again.

I've been asked to assemble a good application bundling procedure. I've put together a few documents, but I'm thinking they could be a lot better. (I've attached them to this message; be sure to trim the ".TXT" off the Word doc.) Would folks here be interested in making any suggestions?

Thanks.

P.S.: Feel free to use them in you own shop.
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

First, thanks for sharing your good work. It's the kind of document I'm sure every ZCM Admin means to write but never actually gets around to! With this as a starting point/template I think you will massively help a lot of people!

I think you do a good job of laying it out. You could add some references to useful sources for installation help e.g. http://www.msiwisdom.com/ , http://www.itninja.com/ (formerly appdeploy), etc. You might even mention http://bundlecommander.com/index.php/products as even the standard (free) version is pretty handy (Pro is great, especially with the Application Setup Center - quick plug for Roel! 😉

It might be worth expanding on the following:
- System Requirements - these can be key to prevent unnecessary distribution/redistribution attempts - what are the standards you want the 'bundler' to follow e.g. always check for certain elements? (e.g. OS and architecture), organisation/department specific variables that might exist on built machines, etc.
- Action security levels (e.g. run as logged in user, secure system user or DAU) - discuss how these operate i.e. what they can do locally, what they can/can't access (e.g. network resources), what the preference is, etc.
- Uninstall options - discuss whether these are required, how might be used (disassociation..!?!), configuration, etc.
- Sandbox & Test devices - how these can be used to test and pilot changes before mass publication

Just a few thoughts that spring to mind, I'm sure there are more and hope that others will also add the things they usually try to cover

Thanks again

David
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, David.
Please see below for a revised version.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Revised, with input from djbrightman.

Please see attached.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.