MoffattD Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Error installing Pre Agent

We are upgrading our pre agent from 11.2.3 to 11.4.2. On a few computers, the upgrade fails. When looking at the computer, the agent is there but it is not registered to anything. I cannot uninstall by normal means, so I run the zenworks cleanup utility, which uninstalls the program. When I try to manually install the new pre agent, I get an error that states "ZENworks PreAgent Error: UNknown PreAgent Error, Check the Application Event Log for more details"

I have had to re-image about 2 computers due to this error, and we've only just begun pushing out the new agent to about a thousand computers. I'm not sure which logs to look at, and even what I would be looking at in the logs.

Has anyone experienced this and possibly have a fix?

Darren
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Error installing Pre Agent

If the system update fails, the 1st thing I would recommend is to try and reinstall the System Update.

Just re-run zenupdater.exe on the PC.
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7005401 (Old but still valid)

Alternately, build a Stand-Alone Updater and use that to reapply the SU. (See TID#7017984, you will have version check issues that can be resolved.)

The error says to open Windows Event Viewer and look at the application log entries.
This is where most of the items for the Agent Install Go.

You may want to try manually installing the very latest version of .NET 4.x
The upgrade will not install of .NET 4.x is not installed, but maybe the install is corrupted somehow.

The 11.2.x agent uses .NET 2.x (.NET 3.5.1 recommended because it includes many 2.x patches)
11.3.x and newer use .NET 4.x

So if the upgrade fails and you cannot even install fresh w/o re-imaging, it may point to an issue in the .NET 4.x installation on the PC.
Again, this is just an educated guess based on very little information.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Thanks Craig
I will try these tips today and let you know. I appreciate your help
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

By installing the latest version of .net and running the cleanup agent, it appears to now work. I had to manually delete the ZESUSER service from the registry before I could get the new agent to install

Thanks again for your help.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Great! Thanks for the update.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.