Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
sbarr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error messages in ZCC

On three of my satellite servers, I have the following message repeated many times:

"The Authentication Satellite Service service could not be started from its current state: Starting"

I've attached a screen shot of the complete message. The message repeats hourly on the three servers.

Any idea what is causing this or how to fix? I've searched for the message and have not been able to locate anything. I checked the patch list and we don't appear to be missing any patches.

I have two primary servers, and four satellites. We are getting the same message on three of the four satellites. The fourth satellite has no errors on it.

Oddly enough, I found a time sync problem on the fourth server today. NTP had stopped and it was 7 minutes off from the other ZCM servers. Restarting NTP brought it back into sync with the rest of the pack.

Primaries
ZCM : 11.4.1.0
ZAM : 11.4.1.4825
ZPM : 11.4.1.490
ZESM : 11.4.1.4825
ZFDE : 11.4.1.4825

Satellites
Agent Version: 11.4.1.5618

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Steve

--
Steve Barr
Technology Coordinator
Madison Local School District
600 Esley Lane
Mansfield, OH 44905
PH: 419-589-2182 x8351 FAX: 419-589-2177
http://www.mlsd.net

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Error messages in ZCC

One simple thing would be to try and restart the server to see if that helps.
If not, try removing the authentication role, refresh the agent, give it 5 minutes, restart the satellite and then re-assign the auth role.
(The long time and restart are likely excessive, but makes things simpler.)
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
sbarr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the suggestion Craig, but it didn't work. I tried it on one server, and within minutes the same error appeared in the messages.

I doubt it's related, but one of the satellites has a "Last Full Refresh" date of 12/30/15. The others are showing times that are within 30 minutes, typically. The "Last Contact Time" is showing 9:36 this morning.

Steve
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

May need an SR, but other simple things such as Reinstalling the agent, Reinstalling .NET, or removing other software that could be conflicting such as security software (just for testing....)
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
drehero Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is the satellite OS Linux? If so, are you seeing "[TRACE] [01/10/2016 04:49:27.033] [3546] [ZenworksAgent] [38] [] [ZMD] [] [Thread with id 38, has an uncaught exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Metaspace"" in the satellite log?
We also have Windows satellites that don't seem to be affected by this issue

I noticed the same error and it turned out that the whole agent stopped working because of a Java memory issue. The SR is still open "awaiting engineering" and I was advised to double the Metaspace memory in the novell-zenworks-xplatzmd script.
Still awaiting information about the root cause and fix in 11.4.2...
0 Likes
sbarr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Satellites are all Linux, should have mentioned that in the beginning.

I searched my zmd-messages.log and don't see any Metaspace or Java memory error messages.

Steve
0 Likes
sbarr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Finally got this resolved the other day.

Server guru checked for and applied a couple missing patches. Then performed the steps that Craig suggested above. All of the satellite servers are now reporting that the authentication role is active.

I don't know which patches, or why they didn't apply. All servers were patched on the same day by the same person.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Steve
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

I think that the most important thing to know about the error

"The Authentication Satellite Service service could not be started from its current state: Starting"

is that it's not very helpful. It will happen for any uncaught exception. The most important thing to do is to enable debug on the satellite when it is seen. In that case the logs will contain also the exception that is root cause of the issue.
0 Likes
jqueiroz Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi all,
I'm facing the same problem here. I see that when I restart the agent on the sat server, it gives me some errors about the machine's firewall, but there's no firewall on the machine at all.
It also complains about file /etc/os-release which is missing (but this file doesn't exists on SLES 11 SP3).

I have several sat servers, only one of them shows the problem. [Interestingly, I had to force reset this server last week, and the problem started after it.]

Any hint?
Is there any information that I can post here to help?
0 Likes
jqueiroz Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

jqueiroz;2424827 wrote:
Hi all,
I'm facing the same problem here. I see that when I restart the agent on the sat server, it gives me some errors about the machine's firewall, but there's no firewall on the machine at all.
It also complains about file /etc/os-release which is missing (but this file doesn't exists on SLES 11 SP3).

I have several sat servers, only one of them shows the problem. [Interestingly, I had to force reset this server last week, and the problem started after it.]

Any hint?
Is there any information that I can post here to help?

Thanks God, found the problem: firewall.
First, the firewall setup scripts were corrupted, so I reinstalled package SuSEfirewall2.
But then, this made SuSEfirewall2 active, which blocked all my connections. Had to reboot in single mode and reconfigure SuSEfirewall2 to not load at startup.
Also found that console login was faulty, for some reason several PAM modules were corrupted also. Luckily I had a twin server from which I could restore the PAM modules.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.