Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Error writing to ZISD

"An error occurred writing to ZISD" is the message.  

These are brand new, out of the package SSDs from Kingston.  We've bought several hundred of them previously that do NOT have this issue.  Even the same model.  They do have different firmware and revisions according to Kingston support.  

We get this error right at the end of imaging.  When it reboots, it prompts for machine name.

Also, we have tried clearing ZISD and have also run DD command from Linux environment which clears first 10MB of hard drive.  

This is about 40 percent effective.  We manually cleared this data BEFORE imaging a second time and it stuck on a little less than half the machines.

We use ENGL and latest Toolkit

Windows 10 1809

ZCM 2020 (Upgraded this week to see if there was a difference.  No change so far.)

Server 2012R2 ZCM host and SQL 21014 SP3

Various machines models.  Tried UEFI and Legacy.  Both have same symptoms.  The only change is the firmware on the drive.  Not sure how to proceed with Kingston's support, or if they'll change anything.  

Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Error writing to ZISD

I would suggest giving WinPE a shot as the PreBoot Environment vs Linux.  With the current releases of ZCM, the imaging feature set is basically the same and can still do native ZCM imaging.

Performance Wise, WinPE will give a noticeably faster restore and comparable image create performance.  Prior to 2020, you may need some patches to get the performance boost.  Can't recall if the fixes made it into 17.4.1.

If I had to guess, it's a Driver issue, which may not exist in WinPE.  An SR may help to get a newer driver that into the Linux Kernel that fixes the issue.  However, the move to WinPE will greatly reduce such issues as issues with new hardware tend to get addressed first in Windows and then later in LInux.

Mind you.....I'm just guessing WinPE may help.  In Linux, you could open an SR but if I had to guess at some point a Kernel Update will pull in a fix, but an SR may speed the process.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Oh....and if the ZISD updates fine once you get into Windows.....Its an even better bet that WinPE may help...

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I will look at WinPE.  I'm not sure it's writing it in Windows, either.  In some cases, after entering the machine name in that field it "sometimes" worked.  I need to do some controlled scenarios and see what sticks.  In case of drivers for SSDs, I thought it was more the controller and not the SSD.  I know some NVMe drives have specific drivers or RAID drivers, in particular.  The machines are ones we have been using for a year or two in some cases with no issues across 3-4 different brands and models of SSD.  Have been using SSDs for 7-8 years.  This batch of Kingstons is the only model I have seen this happen on.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Update on issue.  If we clear ZISD AND run DD to clear first 10MB of data on hard, the issue is gone and the ZISD information is stored correctly.  I tested the other day after JUST running DD and only half the machines or less worked.  Once I ran both, it held the name.   There is no error writing the ZISD at the end putting images on hard drive, and no prompt to enter machine name.  Upon rebooting and during imaging sequence, it's putting information into ZISD and it's pulling correct information from ZISD into ENGL for re-imaging.

Specifically thse areKongston SQ500S37/240G

Firmware 99M7015-045.A01.G

Old ones are 99M7015-060.A00.G I believe.

Not sure if it's a different controller or what the change is.  Kingston mentioned they are technically different, so the firmware is different.  When checking for firmware, both say they are up-to-date.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: I received an SR Recently with a similar report.  The drive, in this case, was a Crucial MX500.

Turns out they resolved the issue by editing the ZIM.CFG with assistance from ENGL Support.  Apologies, but I have no clue what they changed nor really anything about the ZIM.CFG file.  I've never actually used ENGL directly.

--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.