carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Exeption on Launch

Hello,

I have a bundle that just launch an exe. (Our Phonebook)

On one PC, this message appears:

Exception on launch: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: '__compat_layer' Key being added: '__compat_layer'

Any idea ?

Thank you

Alain
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
sananth Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Exeption on Launch

Hi Carrela,

Could you give more details about the action you have added? I would like to know if you are using the compatibility mode settings and if you have added any entries in the environment variables table. Are you specifying any environment variables in any of the text-boxes in the action? Knowing more about what data you have configured in the action will help me narrow down the problem.

- Ananth
0 Likes
carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

There is no environment varibale.

In launch, I have just one action : Lauch windows executable:

Command: Phonbook.exe
Parameter: -
Working directory: same directory where is the .exe file.

Run As : Logged user (default)
Disable Visual Themes

Note that the bundle work on my 60 another machines. I have only this problem on 1 PC (at the moment 🙂

Thank you

Alain
0 Likes
sananth Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Carrela,

Could you check if that device has an environment variable called __COMPAT_LAYER? This variable is sometimes added by specific applications.
Which OS is that particular device? Are any of the other machines that run it successfully of the same OS?

- Ananth
0 Likes
carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

I have check but I haven't this environment variable.

The OS is a standard WinXP Pro SP3. We have the same OS on another PC where it's work

Regards,
Alain

Alain
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Carrela,

maybe the app is setting this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286705

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have uncheck the "Disable Visual Themes" on the Bundle.

I have ask the person to test, I will say you when I have the answer.

Alain
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Carrela,

thanks - it will be interesting to know, because that may indicate a
bug

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, exactely.

But I don't know why it doesn't work one just 1 PC, all my another PC's are "normally" the sames.--> Same base Installation

Regards

Alain
0 Likes
sananth Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Carrela,

I presume there is something installed on that particular device that actually adds an environment variable called __COMPAT_LAYER. It may not be visible to you under the environment variables list which you see from "My Computer". Something that starts as an explorer/shell plugin may be setting the environment variable and hence be available to all processes that are launched. There is hence a conflict when ZENworks tries to work out the compatibility settings. This is what I assume the problem is.

However, you can confirm this for yourself by downloading and running a small utility called Process Explorer which you can download from:
Process Explorer
You can check the entry for the ZENworks process. Right click on the process, select Properties and open the Environment tab.

I don't know if this will help. But I do not see any other possibility other than a conflict with the comapibility variable.

- Ananth
0 Likes
carrela Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It's works !

I have uncheck the "Disable Visual Themes".

And to disable the message to prevent the launch application, I have modified the policy.

Thank you

Alain
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Carrela,

so the question is, why does the error happen for this application?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.