tlandon
Visitor.

External Sybase update to 2017 U4

I am not sure how to update my external sybase database. We are running 2017 17.1.0.0 currently and want to update to 2017 U4. The instructions say to mount the iso and run setup but there is no iso in the downloads for 2017 U4. The readme says the update process will automatically stop the services on all but the master or dedicated primary server. So my best guess is that the updater runs the database update and I don't have to do anything directly on the external sybase server. Is that correct?

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-4/readme_zenworks2017_update4/data/readme_zenworks2017_update4.html#t42q8ri3z1gf
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: External Sybase update to 2017 U4

That readme has this...

For instructions on downloading and deploying ZENworks 2017 Update 4, see the ZENworks System Updates Reference.
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-4/zen_sys_updates/data/bookinfo.html#bookinfo

There is not any reference to an ISO there....
The process should be similar to upgrading to Update 1.

As a heads up.....
Starting in ZCM 2020 (Probably Q3 of this year....)
Sybase Customers will need to migrate to a PostGres SQL.

A tool to assist in the Migration is being finalized and should be available for customers ahead of the ZCM 2020 release to let customers do the DB migration separate from the 2020 upgrade if they choose.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
tlandon
Visitor.

I also looked though that document but it didn't address an external database. My database server is just a sybase sles server. It has no zenworks agent so I cant use ZCC to deploy anything to it. I may have to open an SR to get my head around this. I didn't run the updates before these so I am a little lost.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 21.02.2019 17:34, tlandon wrote:
>
> I also looked though that document but it didn't address an external
> database. My database server is just a sybase sles server. It has no
> zenworks agent so I cant use ZCC to deploy anything to it. I may have to
> open an SR to get my head around this. I didn't run the updates before
> these so I am a little lost.
>
>

There is absolutely nothing you need to do with the DB server.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There are not any code changes to the "Sybase Database Server", "Oracle DB Server", or "MS_SQL" Server during any ZCM Upgrade.
The Primary Servers may perform SQL Commands against the database during this process.....but no reason to actually put anything on the actual SQL server.

But...If you have never done one....SRs can always be useful......
Manuals are Big.....Administrator's Time is usually highly split between many duties.....

Nearly all non-academic customer's have Unlimited SRs, so before embarking on a major task you have not done before....to get a 2nd set of eyes.....
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.