Admiral
Admiral

Groupwise install/update via bundle

Running 11.4.2 agents.

I'm trying to install/update GroupWise 2014.2.2 client on all workstations. Historically, I've always created an MSI bundle and pointed to groupwise.msi , but from what I'm reading (gw docs) it says to use install.bat to run the setup (install.bat /unattended). Trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this.. in my tests, doing this leaves a cmd prompt open while the install is running, which a user can simply click the X on and screw the whole thing up.

Also, is there a way to run this if a user is logged in to workstation, sitting at C+A+D screen, OR powered off waiting for next login?

The "old" way I used to do it was publish the bundle to their desktop. The bundle would have an install action of installing groupwise.msi, and a launch action of program files\novell\groupwise\grpwise.exe .. it would install on first click, then simply launch grpwise after that.

Looking for the cleanest way to accomplish this, and to ensure all users are updated. Curious how everyone accomplishes this kind of stuff. Thanks!

#novell on efnet
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can call the "Batch" file using a "Script" action.
The Command Prompt Window will not show in that case.

If you run as Dynamic Administrator or System, it will run with or w/o a user logged on.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Hey Craig!
Thanks for the tip. You are correct, using "Run Script" instead of "Launch Executable" results in the cmd.exe window being hidden. One possible issue I found with that.. I've never used Dynamic Administrator before. I've also never really used the Zenworks Repository before. Always run things off the network. So in my testing, if I do launch executable, with Dynamic Admin, it error'd trying to get to \\server\volume\install.bat (makes sense, i gave it no edir credentials). If I do Run Script, I dont get an option to specify credentials, so my assumption is the install.bat has to be on the C:, is that correct?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, that is a limitation I've been trying to get Dev to lift on scripts.

If you want to use the "Launch Executable" to run the batch and have it hidden, you have to play a little trick.
Tweak the following 1-line VBS script and save it on the server with your GW install files........

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "gw.bat",0,True

This VBS file will launch the batch file hidden, w/o requiring ZCM to flag it hidden.
So in the bundle, you call the VBS file, which calls the batch file in a hidden fashion.

joebrug;2459799 wrote:
Hey Craig!
Thanks for the tip. You are correct, using "Run Script" instead of "Launch Executable" results in the cmd.exe window being hidden. One possible issue I found with that.. I've never used Dynamic Administrator before. I've also never really used the Zenworks Repository before. Always run things off the network. So in my testing, if I do launch executable, with Dynamic Admin, it error'd trying to get to \\server\volume\install.bat (makes sense, i gave it no edir credentials). If I do Run Script, I dont get an option to specify credentials, so my assumption is the install.bat has to be on the C:, is that correct?
--
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Thanks, Craig. Seems to work. I had to mess around a bit because I wanted to run /unattended switch, but figured it out.
CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "c:\gwclient\win32\install.bat /unattended",0,True

How do I make the bundle run/install in all scenarios? On bootup/sitting at CAD screen/already logged in/login.

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Also, can't say Ive ever seen this before https://snag.gy/73jRCP.jpg

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Joebrug,
> Also, can't say Ive ever seen this before https://snag.gy/73jRCP.jpg

That is what happens if you try to run GroupWise as SYSTEM or as
Dynamic administrator. You need to run GW itself as a normal user.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Anders,
That makes sense. However, this was after I tested deploying the bundle on a schedule, when the computer was at CAD screen. There a way to prevent the attempt to launch the gw client? Obviously, only need the install to happen, not the launch. But many different scenarios. Launch is already set to normal user

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Joebrug,
> That makes sense. However, this was after I tested deploying the bundle
> on a schedule, when the computer was at CAD screen. There a way to
> prevent the attempt to launch the gw client? Obviously, only need the
> install to happen, not the launch. But many different scenarios. Launch
> is already set to normal user

Just make sure that the batch that installs the client does not try to
launch it. What does your c:\gwclient\win32\install.bat contain?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Thanks just installs the prerequisites, like all the .Net and visual studio stuff, provided by MF. The launch action/tab is the only thing that launched the client. Just not sure why it attempted to run at login screen

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Was the bundle schedule configured to "launch after installation"?
--
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Maybe thats where I screwed up. I had it set to do a "Launch schedule" instead of a "Distribution schedule". Thats why, huh?

So never got this one answered. How are your/most bundles configured/associated so that all users get them?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.