Admiral
Admiral

Groupwise install/update via bundle

Running 11.4.2 agents.

I'm trying to install/update GroupWise 2014.2.2 client on all workstations. Historically, I've always created an MSI bundle and pointed to groupwise.msi , but from what I'm reading (gw docs) it says to use install.bat to run the setup (install.bat /unattended). Trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this.. in my tests, doing this leaves a cmd prompt open while the install is running, which a user can simply click the X on and screw the whole thing up.

Also, is there a way to run this if a user is logged in to workstation, sitting at C+A+D screen, OR powered off waiting for next login?

The "old" way I used to do it was publish the bundle to their desktop. The bundle would have an install action of installing groupwise.msi, and a launch action of program files\novell\groupwise\grpwise.exe .. it would install on first click, then simply launch grpwise after that.

Looking for the cleanest way to accomplish this, and to ensure all users are updated. Curious how everyone accomplishes this kind of stuff. Thanks!

#novell on efnet
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

A Launch Schedule would do it.
You would want a Distribution Schedule with the option to install after distribution. (Launch after install option not selected.)

Just assign to Device folder or a high level user container.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Thats the thing.. so whats a typical "distribution schedule" for you guys? i'm trying to think of scenarios in my head. I don't really want users to be kicked out of groupwise, if active, and have it start installing.. so wondering what your typical bundle deployments look like.

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

I think I finally got the bundle itself set up to install how I want it. I just don't have the "pushing to the users" part down..

Let's say I want the bundle to install at 2am for computers that are powered on (either at C+A+D or logged in). I would do Relationship > Devices > Date Specific (or Recurring???) @ 2am, with "install immediately after distribution" checked. That way, when users log in, they'll have latest gw client.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the device will need to "refresh" before it even SEES this bundle.. so if it doesn't refresh before 2am, nothing will happen, right?

What will happen to devices that are turned off currently, but get powered on in the morning? my hope is "nothing" for now... my goal here is to upgrade as many computers as I can, without intervention/interruption. For stragglers, I'll have to think of something else.

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Joebrug,
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the device will need to "refresh" before it
> even SEES this bundle.. so if it doesn't refresh before 2am, nothing
> will happen, right?

Correct

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.