Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

How to add a self-correct option for a bundle

I have created a new software bundle to install Citrix WorkSpace 19.7

The program gets installed/Un-installed  correctly through the assignment of the bundle to a device using ZENworks.  I have a question how to deploy the bundle the best way, given the following circumstances.  

1).  All computers already have a previous version of Citrix Receiver installed.

2).  The new Citrix WorkSpace bundle un-installs any previous versions of Citrix Receiver on that computer; but, the old bundle icon (Receiver) is still present in the ZENworks Application Window.

3).  If you remove the older Citrix Receiver bundle from the device via ZenWorks dashboard, the icon is removed from the ZENworks Application Window.

a.  But the Citrix Workspace program is also un-installed in the process.

b.  One needs to manually 'Verify' the WorkSpace program from the ZENworks Application window, to get the new Citrix WorkSpace program to work again.

c.  There is no 'black' - x next to the WorkSpace icon, indicating that there is a problem. One will need to manually 'verify' the package. 

Is there a way to include a self-correction check, for a software bundle when the ZENworks program is refreshed?  This way, I can deploy the WorkSpace Bundle on-top of the Existing Bundle and then remove the Older Bundle from ZENworks.  Then the next time the users refresh/restarts their workstation the  WorkSpace Bundle can re-install itself(verify).

If there is no way to have the bundle conduct a self-check or repair without that black - x indicator, then we may need to:

1). Remove the older bundle from the workstations via ZENworks Dashboard.

2).  Add the new software bundle to the workstation via the ZENworks Dashboard.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to add a self-correct option for a bundle

Let me work through a couple items....

If you remove the older Citrix Receiver bundle from the device via ZenWorks dashboard, the icon is removed from the ZENworks Application Window.

----

Clearly you have enabled the "Uninstall" Options on your old Citrix Workspace Bundle.

There is a checkbox setting of "Do Not Uninstall application" on Unassignment.  One has to give very careful consideration when allowing this feature.  In general, I recommend against it because admin could very easily cause this to kick in unintentionally.   One one case, a customer had deployed "Office" to all of their devices via a ZCM Bundle.  After this was complete, He wanted to "Tweak" the Office installer for "new installs" and in the process removed the old assignment and added the new assignment.  Suddenly "Office" started uninstalling across all of his devices, which was not his intent.  He then had to push office again.

In short, while having some older software still installed on devices is less than ideal, what is far worse is unintentionally removing in production software from your devices with a few clicks.  If you want to "force" the removal of a specific bundle from one or more devices, you can create a bundle that calls "zac bundle-uninstall" for the specific bundle to clean it off devices.  Also if you "Delete" the old bundle rather than simply remove the assignment, the uninstall will not run since it needs to look back to the bundle to do the uninstall.  Rather than "Deleting" the old bundle, it may be possible to simply "Rev" the version of the bundle that was previously deployed and then delete all old "Versions" of the bundle, since again the uninstaller would need to look at that "version" to remove it. 

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

"Is there a way to include a self-correction check, for a software bundle when the ZENworks program is refreshed?  This way, I can deploy the WorkSpace Bundle on-top of the Existing Bundle and then remove the Older Bundle from ZENworks.  Then the next time the users refresh/restarts their workstation the  WorkSpace Bundle can re-install itself(verify)."

#1 - You can try and train your User's to launch the Software from ZAPP and/or ZCM ShortCuts on the desktop.  Those can be configured to automatically install the software if it is not there prior to launching it.  Use of "Action System Requirements" can do that.

#2 - You can assign the bundle to install upon refresh and then use "Bundle Level" or "Action Level" system requirements so it reinstalls if it is ever uninstalled.  For Example, If a user removes "Corporate AV", then after refresh it just comes back down.

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hello  CraigDWilson

Thanks for the reply.  The only problem I have with deleting the older bundle is that it if we ever needed to revert back we will not be able to.  Unless we re-create it.

Question, Can someone explain to me what will deleting the original bundle do to the computer?  Unless I test that out ahead of time how will I know if it will also remove the new Citrix WorkSpace bundle?

These bundles actually copy the installation .exe to the local PC and triggers the file with command line parameters for silent un-unstall and so forth.    The un-install package also removes the .,exe file from the computer.  Do you know if deleting the bundle will also remove the installation .exe as well?

Questions:  I wonder how other companies deploy new software?  I remember I worked a ta larger company several years ago that used Microsoft SMS and and I recall seeing un-installation packages (examle MS Office 2000 uninstall) and then a separate package to install the next version of MS Office.     

Perhaps we should un-install the old software and then deploy the new software that has a requirement to verify that the previous version has already been removed.  Then to proceed with the new installation.  I would think eventually the new bundle will be installed and the older software will be removed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

#1 - You can export the bundle prior to deleting so you can always import again.

#2 - As noted by myself and the other admin, I would recommend just turning off the automatic uninstall of unassociated bundles.  This is done in a couple of places as noted.   ZCM is only uninstalling the old software because you "TOLD" it too.   Likely not on purpose, but just go back and tell it to stop doing that.

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: To see what will be removed by the "Uninstall" of the bundle, examine the actions on the "Uninstall Tab".

Generally most folks clean up the "Install" folder they create as part of the install instead of leaving it sit around.

Note: For ZCM 2020, Look for the "New Action Type - Install Executable".  That removes the need to copy the content to an install folder first manually.  Rather it will allow it to install directly from cache".

See - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ZCM-Tips-Information/You-asked-for-it-we-delivered-it-Install-Executable-Action/ta-p/2757773

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Hey Stavros,

"3).  If you remove the older Citrix Receiver bundle from the device via ZenWorks dashboard, the icon is removed from the ZENworks Application Window."

Thats the "problem".
I assume Your configuration under:
Configuration > ZENworks Explorer Configuration:  Unassigned Bundles: is "Uninstall after x days".

I do not see why one want to use this setting (because of the side affects You are seeing).
In my Environment is configured there: "Do not uninstall".

After changing this You can remove the assignment for the old Receiver Bundle and assign the new Workspace App bundle which will remove the Receiver and install the Workspce App.

And then only the new Worspace Receiver bundle will run and will do changes to Your workstations...

Kind Regards

Frank

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, that is another important related setting.  Totally agree with off there.....

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hello,

This is what we did to make the deployment more logical and clean.

1).  The production computers already have Citrix Recever 14.4. 

2).  We will add an 'Action' to the Citrix WorkSpace bundle.  The action will be to un-install the prevous Citrix Receiver bundle.

a.  This new action will be moved up to the top of the Actions Install List.

3).  Then after it is finished installing the new Workspace bundle the previous version of Receiver will be un-installed and the Icon will have a block 'x' next to it indicating something is not correct.

4).  Then we will remove the bundle association from the machines and the old receiver package.

a.  Removing the association will remove the icon from the ZENworks Application Window.

All finished. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Stavros,
while the others are correct about all the uninstall stuff & options - just a little addition:
As a workaround you might check the schedules and assignment details for your "old" bundle, sometimes it's an easy start to remove the schedules (if there are any) and uncheck the "Application Window" in Assignment Details (the option is always checked by default). We use this often just to hide bundles from users for various reasons.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Excellent point.....You can change the assignments so the users do not know they have them.

And one more tip.....You do not even have to create a "NEW" bundle for the new version.

Let's say you have "WhizzBang 15.0" assigned to your users and want to upgrade to "WhizBang 2020".  Instead of creating a new bundle, you create a "SandBox" version of the current bundle and assign that to test devices.  Once the bundle is working as intended, you simply publish the new version.  In cases like this where the software appears to share even share a common uninstall, common launch executables, etc.... this may make quite a bit of sense.

However, the key with ZENworks is there is great flexibility in how you can approach tasks and no need to do always tackle each new software deployment the same way.  And do not be shy to create SRs with Support to help walk through all the features and how they work.....

One of the great things I love about Community Support is that it helps avoid "Tunnel Vision", since so many folks tackle problems in so many different ways, they can often shed light on ways to do things that official support may not have considered, since often they spend more time "Solving Technical Issues" versus creating "Art" with ZCM like so many of the admins on this site.

--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.