Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

How to edit hkcu branch entries.

Jump to solution

Hi All,

How does one remove entries from the hkcu component of the registry in windows 10.

I need to remove the profile for outlook.

The zenworks console shows entries for hklm and adding branches etc is ok. 

I can't workout how to remove a entry from hkcu as there is no tree just a tick box next to it and no where to add a path?

Thanx

Julian

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to edit hkcu branch entries.

Jump to solution

That is exactly what I do as well.......Export the Reg Keys I want to work with from one device, and then import them and fiddle from there.   While it's possible to create w/o importing, I too find that process easier and less prone to having a typo or incorrect spelling.

Note: Do not forget to the advanced tab and set the action to either "Run as User" or check the box to "Apply HKEY_CURRENT_USER changes to the logged in user's hive instead of .DEFAULT".

Otherwise, "SYSYTEM" HKCU registry will be updated if it is set to run as system.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Check the box and then use new to add key or value to build up the structure.  For what you are doing I find it easier to export the branch you want to work on from Windows Regedit and then import into the registry action.  Then you can delete values or keys you don't need in the structure then edit what is left the way you want it.

jdkoerner_0-1579612741877.png

Jim

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

That is exactly what I do as well.......Export the Reg Keys I want to work with from one device, and then import them and fiddle from there.   While it's possible to create w/o importing, I too find that process easier and less prone to having a typo or incorrect spelling.

Note: Do not forget to the advanced tab and set the action to either "Run as User" or check the box to "Apply HKEY_CURRENT_USER changes to the logged in user's hive instead of .DEFAULT".

Otherwise, "SYSYTEM" HKCU registry will be updated if it is set to run as system.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thanx jdkoerner,
The import worked.
Although the it didn't remove the required profile.
I'll try setting it as user under the advanced tab, system didn't seem to work.
I set the bundle to run under install should it be run under launch?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

As Craig mentioned you would need to "run it as user"  or check the box to "Apply HKEY_CURRENT_USER to have it delete for the currently logged in user.  I am assuming you are running this logged in as the user you want to clean up.  It would not work if you were logged in as someone else.

Either Install or Launch would work.

Typically I think of Install as something you would want to happen once and Launch I use to have a user run a program whenever they needed.  Although you can set Launch to run once also just to make it more confusing :-).

Jim

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.